Ok why did this happen...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alag28, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

so i was having some difficulties with passwords and whatnot so i popped in the mac os install disk to boot up password resetter through the utilities menu so i changed my log in password thru there but then when i booted back everything was gone like everything was set back to default..my music folders gone my settings gone like everything...what the hell did i do?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

System Preferences > Accounts ... dis you create a new account?

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

actually yea i think i did. i bought this macbook pro today at bestbuy and the whole computer was named bestbuy so i went into system pref > accounts i changed the name in that screen then right clicked on the administrator account and went into advanced options changed the short name to my name and the home directory to /users/(my name)

then i went ahead and did the whole reset password with the cd. cud that be why?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you seem to have completely screwed the user accounts ...

5. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

so in my case the computer completely erased all the files that ive added so far? but i see that i still have the office 2008 programs i installed that wasnt erased...

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They're not erased, just under a different user account ... you can access them through the Users folder. Just move them to your folder.

7. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

i only see 2 accounts in that list my name account and guest account i dont see any other ones

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Look in the Users folder on the HD.

9. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

ooo ok...so how i make one clean user which would be me drag all the info on that bestbuy user and drop into my new user account? and delete the other ones?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes.

11. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, thanks for ur help rjs

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Did you buy a computer that was used as a display model on the floor, since it seems the computer was already setup for Besy Buy?

At that point I would just reinstall the whole OS, never know what other people screwed up by playing around with the laptop.

13. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yep, if its a display model you probably have random pictures from photobooth and all kinds of stuff on that computer from people playing with it.