Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Got my copy on Friday from Amazon-- interestingly the local stores I checked (Walmarts mostly) did not have it. I am four hours in.

The game is beautiful, the music is top notch and the script is very well done. This is a game done by someone who (like me) thinks that the Wind Waker is one of the greatest games ever made. And it is a tribute, not a rip-off. The graphics are fantastic, and the atmosphere is great. The NPCs are well done and Zelda-like. It seems like it was easily worth $40.

Now for the downside-- the controls are not great. Not at all. There is no consistency and no forgiveness to them. I just bought a move in the dojo-- the four swipe reflector technique. I listened to the dojo teacher, I read the scroll. I made the move as instructed-- it did not register. Eventually it does register, with the SAME movements. I'd say it registers about 3 times in 10, with identical movements.

Same goes for fighting. Although I have gotten better at it, the horizontal brush slash is incredibly inconsistent. About half the time a horizontal slice coats the enemy in black ink, and does not register as a slash. For no reason that I can tell. I lost to the first drumming enemy about 10 times because of this.

Although I think this is a AAA title, it is not a AAA Nintendo quality title, due to the control issues and the non-disguised loading times.

If anyone has tips for control, let me know. I am old, and far from a 1337 gamer. It is entirely possible that my inherent lameness at games is handicapping me. Thanks and I'd like to hear what this forum thinks of the game.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Apparently holding down Z allows you to make straight lines

It helps, I think, but you can still make a "z-assisted" slash that ends up inking the target rather than striking a blow. Then you can make another seemingly identical slash that does strike a blow. If there is any consistency I have not been able to summon it so far.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
IGN reckoned the nunchuk dodge-roll move was pretty broken too, is this right?

I never played this game on PS2, so I may well pick it up soon anyway.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
IGN reckoned the nunchuk dodge-roll move was pretty broken too, is this right?

I never played this game on PS2, so I may well pick it up soon anyway.

I read about that and when the move was offered at the dojo for 10,000 yen (yen is the "rupee" of the game) I decided not to buy. Maybe later.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I have [and love] the PS2 game, and was very excited to pick up the Wii version, thinking that the controls would be ideal with the Wiimote. I bought this, but have not opened it yet. Now that I've read some real player reviews I'm thinking of returning it and sticking with the PS2 version. The only reason for picking it up is the controls, and if they are as broken as reports indicate...

Still, if you never played Okami before, you should definitely check it out. This is a gorgeous game in every regard. Can't believe they broke up this studio. Stupid Capcom.Grrrrrrr.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
I thought that the controls were broken too, but after playing it for a while, its great. Granted, the controls arent perfect, but I have gotten the slash down. Also, I couldnt get the part right after the ability to cut, where you had to cut the rock. It took about 20 tries before I got it. Also, It was hard to make the cherry blossoms bloom while Mr. Orange is dance. It took me many tries. But I got it.

Over all, its an amazing game that is very fun, and I plan to put many hours into it!

Edit: HOLY CRAP!

My box has the IGN logo on it! (Thank you Spyker!)

I just noticed it! D: Im angry at Capcom!

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Ya, apparently the IGN logo was a mistake. The artist used an image from IGN that had the watermark and wasn't good at hiding it. I think it's reeeaaallly funny :D.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I'm so looking forward to this game. I drove around on the 15th and couldn't find it. :(

Are the controls like Super Monkey Ball, as in they were a major pain at first, but once understood, they could be pulled off consistently? Or is it like Tiger Woods' controls, where as the club would sometimes glitch?

I read that RaD ported this for Capcom and it's their first Wii game. Normally I would be quite fearful of this, but this blog helped to alleviate my fears;
http://blog.capcom.com/archives/565

I'm going to give them a bit of slack, since it's clear they gave Okami real priority, even if I end up chewing on my Wiimote out of frustration.

<]=)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll be sticking with the ps2 version (upscaled to 1080p on my PS3) ;)

Shame they seemingly by most accounts banjaxed the controls. That surely should have been the 'key' advancement and one that the game is ultimately tailored for.... things could have been so so much better.

As it stands, for anyone who has or has played the ps2 version - there's no real reason to re-visit the game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wasn't too keen on using the analogue drawing method, and then it turns out the Wii version isn't too good either? Grah! I'd be interested in this but I like a smooth playing experience.

Hoping that in the many months we have to wait in Europe that they'll tweak it.

Though I haven't played a US-UK tweaked game since Tony Hawks 1 so... frowns.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I wasn't too keen on using the analogue drawing method, and then it turns out the Wii version isn't too good either? Grah! I'd be interested in this but I like a smooth playing experience.

Agreed. I own it on PS2 but set it aside in anticipation of what I figured would be the perfect Wii control scheme. Hearing that it's no good is kind of depressing.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
OK, YOU GUYS SUCK! :D Learn how to draw!!! :D The controls are hard, but you just need skill, "talent," :eek: "practice!"

If you guys have played Mario Party 8, with the shape drawing mini game, I can win that against anyone I know. I rule. :eek: But on Mario Party 4, which had that crayon tracing mini-game, my friend, who can't draw, always beat me with his stinking thumb. :mad:

20 times to cut the peach. :eek: Were you drunk? *I kid* :D I did it on the second try and that's only because I didn't draw high enough on the first shot. Just had to slice the stem, it was easy. The sun was cake also, as were dotting the stars and painting the enemies.

The only control I find weird right now, is attacking. Not that it's hard, because it isn't, I'm just used to Zelda TP's wolf attack, which allows quick consecutive attacks. This one requires a pause of about a second it seems, or else it won't register the attack.

But... :( The game just froze on me. :( Right after I talked to the boy who mentions getting 10 turnips. I had to unplug my Wii all together to get things working again. I hope this is a fluke. :(

*yawns* at MR's 1080p comment in an excessive and obtrusive manner. So, you probably also watch PAL TV at 1080p and that can't be good. :p

<]=)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Even worse. :D And it's 4:3.

Okami Wii has a LCD setting under options. It looks awesome even on my little 19" Samsung. They also bumped up the color saturation on the Wii, but to be honest, I actually like the washed out look of the PS2 better from what I've seen. But widescreen rules!

I played again and it didn't freeze this time. I think the controls for this game will fall under the RE4 Wii category, where as some had issues with them at first, but later embraced them as they gained experience -- or fixed their setup. :eek:

What happens if I bite someone? :)

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.