Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
i do have a natural talent for singing but im not formally trained nor have i really applied myself but this year i want to actually start sharing my talent with the public.

i really like the quality of this guys stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmKCn8hfQg

my first question is does anyone know what kind of microphone set up he has just by looking at that?

also how do u get that professional sound? i notice he has backing vocals and the instrumental he is using is perfectly suited to his voice. can someone point me in the right direction of how i can make something like that

can i do this in garage band?

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
i do have a natural talent for singing but im not formally trained nor have i really applied myself but this year i want to actually start sharing my talent with the public.

i really like the quality of this guys stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmKCn8hfQg

my first question is does anyone know what kind of microphone set up he has just by looking at that?

also how do u get that professional sound? i notice he has backing vocals and the instrumental he is using is perfectly suited to his voice. can someone point me in the right direction of how i can make something like that

can i do this in garage band?

He's using a large condenser microphone - these are common microphones for vocals in studio situations. Not sure what the exact microphone are. If you are looking for a good budget vocal microphone to start out with, check out the MXL V67. The Bluebird is also a great mic. You'll also need an audio interface if you want to do recording. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a good budget option if you're only looking to record vocals.

Getting the professional sound is all about microphone placement and room treatment. Secondary is your skill in post processing.

You can do it in Gargeband, but it's not as good as full-blown DAW like Pro Tools or Logic. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions. I work with music everyday - musical theatre, composition, arranging, recording. I do it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.