Okay I called three official Mac resellers......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

In each call I talked to the service technicians. I asked for a price quote on labor and the parts to fix the "infamous macbook whine".

I told them I have a Macbook I bought it in November 2006. All three places were not sure about the Macbook whine and told me it can from the power cord area, fan or logic board. One of these three should be replaced.

What surprises me they all were dumbfounded when I mentioned the Macbook "whine". It seemed to me like they were never heard of that before and I am the first one to talk to them about it. I do know the newer laptops don't have this issue.

It just surprises me that the local Mom and Pop Mac resellers don't know much about this.

The average price to fix the logic board if that was the issue was $380. Not sure if that is too much money or not. I guess I better to ifixit.com and see if fixing it myself would be a better deal.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I no longer have my 2006-era MacBook, but I seem to recall that one of the firmware updates (to regulate the fan speed) fixed it for me. Are you up to date on those patches?

Either way, best of luck in getting it fixed!

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I still have my 2006 macbook - I had my logic board replaced along with the fan and heatsink works fine now

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I had a Macbook from the same time and fortunately I didn't have the whine or moo as it was called. I had that Mac for two years before I traded it for an iMac from someone in another state. I keep up with them once in a while about how their computer is doing and I hear bad news.

They did the firmware update that fixes that moo (but my Macbook didn't have the problem - so I never did the update, don't fix what isn't broken right?). Well they did the update and it made the Macbook whine! They also told me the DVD drive no longer works at all.

If you haven't updated your Mac in a while, you best do it! I honestly don't think it's worth fixing now because it is going on 3 years of age - that is the average computer life-span. It will cost more for the Logic board than it would cost to get a newer (note, not newest) Macbook refurbished.