Okay. I just came from the local BB store...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bmstrong, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

Normally I hang out in the Macbook and iPhone forums but I just came back from the local Best Buy. I was all set to purchase a 15 Pro but they finally had the iMac's set up. I was looking to purchase my first computer, cash in hand.

And, let me tell you, the 20" iMac sure has me brain chugging. The 24" is a BEAST in size. My iPhone, soon to be 3GS, IS my only computer. I use my local library and my families computer for updates. It's almost my laptop. I figured that the nice 15 Pro would make a nice addition to the family and, finally, I'd be able to stop leeching. It would offer portability and screen size all in one package for the times that the iPhone screen is to small.

But the setup they had, a 20" imac, wireless keyboard and mouse, just looked sooooo nice compared to the laptops. That 20 is just about right in size.

I'm listening to anyone out there that bought the iMac in favor of the portability of the Macbook's. How well do the iMac's hold their value? How easy are they to upgrade? Should I look at refurbs in the desktop line? How long do you generally get out of a iMac? Does the glare bother you on the screen? How do they spec out versus the laptops? Anyone drop a SSD inside one?

I realize that desktops aren't as "COOL" as laptops, and I certainly hadn't really even considered one before this, but man did it look nice. Any advice, pro or con? I'm happy to listen to both sides.

2. macindork macrumors member

While I had my iPod Touch I must say more often than not I used it more than my MacBook... now if I were buying I would go with an iMac... you can even buy a case to tote it around in if you need to...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I chose iMac over laptop because my old PC laptop was on my desk 99% of its time and I already had a laptop for portable use. iMac is wonderful computer for almost everything. It takes less desk space than a laptop and has awesome screen. iMac is also quite portable as well, you can take it to your friend or somewhere else easily.

I think iMacs hold their value okay, if you keep them in good condition, all Macs hold their value better than PCs. RAM is easily upgradeable but other components aren't, only HD can be changed by yourself, but it's hard. Refurb store is great place to buy Macs for lower price, quality can be better than straight from factory. I try to stick with my iMac for at least 3 years and of course, I'll buy AppleCare before my warranty ends so I can keep this for at least 3 years. I'm also thinking about buying MBP or MBA in future for portable working (my current PC is dyeing and can't handle my needs). Glare doesn't bother me at all, I think it looks better with glossy screen than matte screen. iMacs have quite similar specs with high-end MBPs but better GPUs. I'm waiting for SSD prices to drop so I might put one inside my iMac in a year or two.

I'm not pro but I'm freelance web designer and I also do some Photoshopping if my clients want so. It handles everything perfectly!

If I could choose now, I would maybe go for 2.66GHz MBP with 9600GT + external monitor but it costs more than my iMac so...

4. arcadeforest macrumors member

Not sure what your computing requirements are, been using the iphone, library and friends so I assume not to demanding. Have you considered a mac mini? For a little less then the base iMac you can get a base mini, upgrade the ram to 4gig and hard drive to 320/500gig yourself, get yourself a nice 22-24 lcd monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse. Just a thought. I've got a really nice high end pc that I find I use very little outside of gaming while my mini does everything else. I think that says alot about the mini.

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I went for a 20" imac because portability is a non-issue for me as i do all my work at my desk.

Recently i have found myself wanting to do some general web browsing while away from my desk but i am in the need of a new phone so a 3g s should solve that problem.

If you need portability for more than just the internet then of course get a laptop but if you believe your iphone has that covered then the extra screen space and power of the desktop will be more useful.