Okay, I'm buying a Mac notebook here soon...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PhaserFuzz, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Alright, I need a laptop and I've been looking at Mac's for awhile now. I'd use it for photo editing with Photoshop, web browsing, basic video editing, and basic music recording. These new Macbook Air's intrigue me. Now I know they're not as powerful as the Macbook Pro's are, but would they be able to function for these tasks? I'm in a band and I travel a lot, so having a lightweight laptop would be quite beneficial on the road.

Also, I'd get the standard hard drive because I dont have 3k to spend on a computer, so just what exactly would run slower with that? .. and with this new "Time Capsule", I could use that as a wireless external hard drive right?

Thanks for any help! :D

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, it'll handle what you need, but you may be better off with a MacBook or low-end MacBook Pro, which will offer rather better performance. Even a 15" MBP isn't that much to carry around - it's certainly smaller and lighter than most equivalent machines from HP or Dell.

Ultimately, it depends on the compromise you're prepared to take for size & weight, but for major apps such as Photoshop, the more powerful machine would be worthwhile IMHO

3. scr1968 macrumors regular

I agree with the previous poster...

And if you are traveling, do you really want to haul around an external drive too? If you are going to do that along with an "Air" then you are probably better off going the MacBook or low end MacBook Pro route.

SR