Okay, Seriously, YES You Can Do Voice and Data on CDMA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reaper0bot0, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

The HTC Thunderbolt supports simultaneous voice and data whilst over 3G (EV/DO) thanks to something called SVDO. While this is the only CDMA handset that I know of that supports SVDO, it is 100% proof positive that it does it. I don't know why other manufacturers have elected not to use it.

This is not a network-side upgrade. SVDO basically adds another radio, so one can handle 3G data (EV/DO) whilst the other handles voice (1X). This requires additional hardware and software on the part of the handset manufacturer, not the carrier.

http://www.cdg.org/technology/svdo.asp

The above link defines it, to some extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyvZgyx93Q

The above link is a Youtube clip of somebody using 3G data at the same time as making a phone call.

I use this feature on my Thunderbolt all the time. It works. I am not on WiFi, I am not on 4G (LTE). I ain't blind, I ain't mistaken, and I'm absolutely sick and tired of every freaking time somebody at MacRumors mentions CDMA they go on and on about how you can't do voice and data on CDMA, that it is impossible.

It is absolutely possible. It may make the phone larger. It may make it more expensive. It may never be popular, but it is absolutely true that handset manufacturers can do what HTC has done and sell a CDMA phone that can make or receive phone calls during an EV/DO data session.

I am posting this because I'm done correcting people in various threads. If you're going to post something you should know if what you are posting is true or false. This has become an article of faith among many, and I do not understand why I've seen multi-page threads of people basically insisting that everybody who believes a Thunderbolt can do this is an idiot.

Please click on the two links above, and comment here once you have done so.

2. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Come on, ONE HANDSET out of how many on Verizon? You might as well just say you can't voice and use data at the same time.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know this exists. But did you know that the Thunderbolt is virtually the only phone that has this ability? And posting about it on an Apple forum where the iPhone is Apple's only mobile device, you wonder why the generic response is "it can't do that"? Its because the iPhone, the dominate mobile phone subject here, cannot do that.

4. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

My point is that it is absolutely possible, just unpopular. I do not know why more phones don't have this feature.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So I guess battery life gets eaten up double.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You answered that:

In addition, its more power hungry and requires the tower be updated via a software update to accommodate the extra data stream.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Because SVDO is already past the sweetspot that would of made it popular. If it were to of appeared on phones back in 2008 virtually every smartphone now currently on Verizon would have it implemented in some way, shape or form. Now with LTE there is not a real reason to develop on that idea.

8. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think that there is no battery hit on the GSM side? Do you think that using voice on 1X eats up as much battery as an EV/DO data session?

----------

Intell, please cite a source that SVDO requires a network-side upgrade.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Of course it's possible. I thought everyone knew that.
    Just hasn't been possible on an iPhone.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There maybe a battery hit on the GSM side, but it was there from the start of 3GPP and its a known condition. It was also designed into the towers, phones, and chips that use 3GPP GSM networks.

11. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

Lapsang, I could give you a host of links, but I don't want to have to dig like that. I was appalled by a multi-page thread a week or two back where the OP was basically called an idiot for believing his eyes, that his friend's Thunderbolt could do this.

This ignorance is rather prevalent here.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

In the whole scope of things does it really matter ?

13. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Actually i constantly see people on this forum say that it's not a phone issue, its a network issue. In which case it actually isn't a network issue. Not that I care, but have unfortunately seen this "discussed" on here many times.

14. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1240630

Pages one and two are full of this sort of thing. Every danged time there's a thread about, or that mentions, CDMA the majority of MacRumors posters who comment on simultaneous voice and data over CDMA insist this is a limitation of the network standard.

It was. It has been circumvented, and was months and months and months ago.

Oh, here's the most recent bit of absurd hilarity on the subject, the thread that got me all hot and bothered by the militant ignorance.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1232420&highlight=

15. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. I appear to have posted this about six minutes before the absolute worst time on a Mac-oriented forum. Its getting buried.

And yes, rest in peace Mr. Jobs. You left the world better than you found it.

16. Reaper0bot0 thread starter macrumors regular

One last bump, sorry. All of those duplicate and locked threads buried this one last night.

Also, why was my poll removed?

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Wrong. It is still a network issue. Having two radios is like having two cell phones. One does the data and one does the voice. Other providers like AT&T and T-Mobile don't need two separate radios. It is still a CDMA network issue that you just can't get around.

18. shadrap macrumors 6502

What difference does it make. Your CDMA phone has signal almost everywhere in the states. GSM doesn't. When they are on 2G, they can't do both at the same time either.

Enjoy the fact that you have signal and 3G. If there actually comes a time where you need data and voice at the same time, you will probably be on wifi anyway.

Look at AT&T's commercials advertising simultaneous voice and data. Guy is at work, guy is at home, guy is at coffee shop. All of these would probably have wifi.