okay...so how many calls are you dropping on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPa, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i freaking drop SO many calls when i have 3G turned on..its pissing me off so much:mad:

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I actually called a friend of mine and I thought I dropped a call, but as it turned out he was in the Bart Tube and his 3G iPhone didn't go to voicemail. I waited for him and asked him if he received my call and he checked his iPhone and it didn't even show up as a missed call. I didn't know what to make of it...:eek:

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I haven't dropped any calls...with this phone. You should be sure that you live in an area with good 3G coverage before you switch it on. Sorry that you are having problems.

If it is becoming a huge problem, take it back and exchange it. I've had at least four iPhones since July 11th (lost track of how many) and I exchanged 2 of them due to them constantly gaining and losing 3G signal.

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

0% dropped calls 3g att <--> att
    45% dropped calls 3g att <--> Boost/virgin/Metro PCS
    5% dropped calls 3g att <--> sprint/verizon

Boost/Virgin Mobile/Metro PCS, its just out right crap phones/coverage IMHO. They start breaking up the second the call is delivered and most of the time end up having to hug an exterior window or stand in the front/backyard for reception. Needless to say calling them while they are on the road is a crap shot if they aren't on a major super popular main hiway.

6. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have great 3G reception at my house..it wasnt this way with my original 3G iphone (this is a replacement..not for dropped calls..for a dead pixel)

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have never dropped a call on 3G since launch.

8. malsch macrumors newbie

really?!

I've only had my phone 2 months and I've already had probably 2-3 dropped calls. But they are from stuff like notorious dead spots and tunnels.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, correct. Not one dropped call on 3G. I used 3G quite a bit the first two months I got the phone but since the, I rarely turn it on. I don't have a use for it.

10. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I've had my iphone 3G for a couple of months now and haven't dropped any calls. I'm in Columbus, OH and the network here and in surrounding states (PA, KY, etc) has been fantastic.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I've had a few (less than 10) dropped calls. I'm using Rogers in Toronto. Good thing for the iPhone is you get a sms with the number who called even if your phone is turned off. :)

12. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Perhaps 2 dropped calls since I got the iPhone 3G in late July.

MUCH better than Verizon, where I had a small number of dropped calls and a much larger number of missed calls. Verizon could never explain how their "reliable network" would cause so many of my calls to go directly to voice mail with my phone never ringing. :confused:

13. BlueCan macrumors newbie

None. Of course, I live outside of decent 3G coverage--so I turned it off...

14. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

0 dropped calls. VA has excellent 3G coverage though.

15. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

My calls don't drop on me, I drop my calls.

Take that, you callers!

16. mutantblack macrumors regular

I have a lot of dropped call even with the full 3g signal. :(

17. kent5th macrumors newbie

When my 3G was on... I probably dropped between 5 and 20 calls a day, no bs. It blows me that I have to turn it off just so I can have a conversation longer than 5 minutes. (DC, metro area)

18. icewing macrumors 6502

I've had the iPhone & AT&T for a month and a half now. I've only had a couple of dropped calls, and I was initially very worried about this.

Even better, my call quality is MUCH better than Sprint. My wife actually had to turn her volume down because I was coming in both louder and clearer. I'd had Sprint since the mid-90s, and had good service with them both in Atlanta and in St Louis. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the service here in St Louis (suburb of O'Fallon).

I've noticed that most of the posters in this thread don't have their locations listed, and most didn't mention where they are.

So, where are you folks having trouble?

19. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I went to apple store, they hooked up my phone and it tells them the dropped call stats. I had about 9%, my wife had 22%. he said att has average of 3-10% and it's normal. He was willing to give my wife a new phone.

20. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Wow, that's cool they can do that.

I have been dropping a ton of calls here in Portland in the last week. Somebody said they were switching the network over to 850MHz and that was why. Now I can't even have 2 seconds of silence on a call without asking "are you there" it happens so much. I had verizon before and dropped calls were the rare exception, now they are a a daily occurence.

21. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

I have never dropped a call here in Miami, Florida.

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Dropped calls in Florida: NONE.
    Dropped calls in New York City: Just about every other call.

It's all about location.

23. neoserver macrumors 6502

Never dropped a call before 2.1. When i upgraded, it disabled 3G in the sense that I couldn't place any calls (they'd drop) and no one could phone me (it'd drop and not go to voicemail).

If I restore the phone it works for a couple weeks, then it starts behaving bad again. If i switch to EDGE works just fine. (But I get the annoying GSM buzz)

All on Rogers in Edmonton.

24. Big Willie macrumors member

How is the call quality on Edge? I'm a Verizon customer contemplating the switch. No problems with Verizon here (Nashville, TN) and the Blackberry Storm looks sorta promising so I'm torn. Big Apple fan though.
    :confused: