Okay, So I Followed Your Advice... How'd I Do...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MizzTree, Mar 12, 2010.

1. MizzTree macrumors newbie

I listened carefully to all the advice I was given concerning my recent purchase of the PowerMac G5 2GHz DP, that I purchased along with an Apple LCD monitor and Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, for $450. I cleaned it up (even though it already looked great), then found a buyer for just the PowerMac who is extremely happy to buy it for $500, and a woman who wanted the LCD monitor for another $75. So, right there, if I stop, I'm already $125 ahead of where I began, plus the value of the keyboard and mouse, that I'm keeping for myself.

Since everyone seemed in agreement that I ought to have been looking for an Intel Mac, at first I thought I would buy the 2 year-old basic Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB RAM, and an 80GB HD, but no modem (!), running Leopard OS X 10.5.8, that a local woman is selling for $600, but who came down on the price to $425 for me. Only today, though, I found a young student selling his 1 year-old black MacBook 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, with 2GB RAM, a 320GB HD, the Magsafe powercord, with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme upgrades, and is being run by Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.2. While he was hoping for $800, as he says he only used it a few times (and it looks as if that is exactly the case), he finally offered it to me for the same $500 I got for the PowerMac. I wanted to just give him the money, grab the laptop and run, but told him that I wanted to ask some friends a couple of questions first.

So okay, friends, here it goes. While I'm not sure I can work my buying magic any better than this, if you tell me to go back to the starting block again, I guess I could give it yet another try. I would love your opinions on the deal, but this time I'm asking before I actually spend any money. I couldn't find any MacBooks with these kind of specs selling for less than $1000+ online, so it seems like a good deal to me, but then again, so did the PowerMac G5 :).

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Seems like a good deal on the students Macbook to me. If it doesn't have any problems that you can see I would say go for it.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

500$ sounds very good. I doubt you can get +1000$ of it but 700-800$ sounds fair. That's very easy +300$.