Okay to leave MacBook Plugged In?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adam044, Dec 2, 2012.

1. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Is it okay to leave my MacBook in sleep mode and have it plugged in for long periods of time? 90% of the time I have it on my desk. I do unplug it when I use it just to use the battery but just wondering if leaving it plugged in for 2-5 days constant is bad for it.

2. De5 macrumors member

It's healthier if the battery runs atleast once a week. With apple's new batteries, it's not really too bad if you have it plugged in alot.

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I left mine plugged in for almost a month :p but it's better if you discharge the battery often to get it flowing

4. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I agree. I leave mine plugged almost all the time and about a few times a month find myself just using it until it drains completely.

5. bigbrown, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Funny, that first link says:

Fully discharge it once a month. This may seem contradictory, but hear us out. While lithium-ion batteries shouldn't be discharged regularly, most modern batteries are what's known as "smart batteries", which means that they can tell you how long you have until your battery dies (e.g. "2 hours, 15 minutes remaining"). This feature can get miscalibrated after a lot of shallow discharges. So, manufacturers recommend fully discharging your battery once a month to make sure this stays accurate.

7. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've been wondering about this, as I've just got myself a 2012 13" MBP and a Thunderbolt Display, so when it's on my desk, it's charging constantly. :eek:

Maybe I should shut it down and disconnect the MagSafe connector at night?

8. simsaladimbamba

It is not charging constantly, once the battery is full, the charging stops.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

9. Azzin macrumors 68040

That's good to know, thanks.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    You don't ever have to fully discharge the battery, and I wouldn't recommend following battery advice from lifehacker, batteryuniversity or any source other than Apple. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

11. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not. See my last post. Such sources are unreliable in understanding how best to use the battery technology employed in Apple notebooks. Instead, read the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ I posted, which is comprised of information directly from Apple.