Okay to manually move files across from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kiki61, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Kiki61, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

Kiki61 macrumors newbie

As usual, I have a bit of a dumb question, but I was wondering if was okay to move files directly across manually from my Time Machine backup disc to my computer. I'm having to rebuild the hard drive, and while trying to restore my documents folder, I got a message that there was a permissions problem with the folder and was denied access. While going through the items within the folder, I noticed that the permissions problems seemed to have caused by one item in particular. Therefore, I was wondering if it would be okay to just manually move all the remaining items from my backed-up Documents folder across to my newly rebuilt folder, and bypass having to deal with the item with the glitched permissions (which I don't need anyway). I didn't know if by doing this manually and not via the Restore function would cause any possible corruption/loss of data or any other unforseen problems.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I manually copy files from my Time Machine backup all the time. I have never encountered an issue doing it that way.