Okay to move iMac using its stand back further into desk?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Amnesiac1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

Not swiveling the screen itself up and down but moving the entre iMac back by sliding it back further into your desk?

My question is, can you do this while the iMac is on or should I shut it down?

My second question is, can shutting down your iMac too much damage it?

2. simsaladimbamba

1. No. I did and do it often, and unless the HDD is writing/reading something to/from itself, you can't harm anything, unless you are rough doing the positional readjusting.
    2. It wears out the HDD over time, but that may take a while. Why not use the sleep function? My iMac ran for a year and a half, and my electric bill did not take a dive (I only used 600kWh in 500 days for my entire flat).

3. iSayuSay, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Why not just wait your imac to be turned off and move it after? Just for precaution?!!

NO!! it's not okay to move your iMac while it on, it might blown to pieces, along with the owner. May damage your entire neighbourhood :rolleyes:

This is a silly question for another thread. iMac is not made of paper, why so much worry? Can i move it, can i turn it off, can i touch the screen, can i touch the keyboard

OP here is just so neurotic or what?
    Sorry, but for an owner of such powerful iMac (which should've been a power user or prosumer who know what they're doing) you sounds like a toddler

You sure your iMac aint too powerful for you? Like i said, it might blown u to pieces

4. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

How many threads are you going to make about your new iMac? Can't you keep it in one thread?

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

True to the heart!! +1 for toddler OP with multiple small talks threads

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Best post I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh :D

I knew the title of the thread sounded a bit odd.

7. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Lol. Hahaha.

Funny stuff. Seriously is the OP a joker or is he serious?

8. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

You should only move the iMac while it is on ONLY if you are keeping it within the original circle of lit candles you set up when you first turned it on.

Moving it outside the circle of light may cause intra-dimensional ethereal beings to do bad things, like causing retroindexing to fail, and may cause the display orbitals to deflambificate.

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Third post and after get -1

Guess who did it huh?? :rolleyes:
    Just ask better questions next time, dude

An i7 iMac with ssd and all deserves much better than being moved around while it's ON