Okay to repair Lion drive from Snow Leopard startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Goop, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Goop macrumors newbie

I have an external FW boot drive running OS10.6.8 with copies of my repair utilities on it (Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, Disk Utility). Is there any reason NOT to use this as my emergency repair startup drive for my Macs running Lion?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Snow Leopard and older doesn't know what the heck a recovery partition is. Have you tried running disk utility booting from your recovery partition? When I install any of Apple's newer "diskless" OSs, I always make myself an 8 gig USB stick before allowing the installer to delete itself. To me this is better than the recovery partition which requires some things to be downloaded from the internet and of course if your HDD dies, you don't even have the recovery partition. I have a pretty decent 'net connection but I'd still rather not have to download huge files to do a recovery.

Booting from a SL disk should still give you access to Disk Utility, but it might get confused about what to do with the recovery partition. If you want to simply repair your Lion boot volume, you might be ok booting from SL, but if you want to do anything with the partitioning of your boot drive, stick to booting from Lion media.

4. Goop thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have a Lion "recovery" flash drive which also has these utilities installed on it. It's just that the Snow Leopard drive is FW800 and so boots up so much faster that I'm just wondering if it will perform the same repairs.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't try it. Use the Lion utilities on Lion.