Okay to run on power lead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peewiglet, May 31, 2011.

1. Peewiglet macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a new Macbook user, and I'm wondering whether it's okay to run the laptop via the power lead when I'm at home, or whether I should always unplug it and run from the battery when it's become fully charged.

Thanks for any help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't matter. Use your computer how you want to use it, rather than basing your habits off artificial concerns about battery health.

3. Peewiglet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for that, but I'm not sure how to take care of the Mac battery, as I've not had one before. I just don't want to damage it accidentally when I've only had the laptop for a few days.

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

The best way to look after it is to charge it fully, then run it from the battery until you need to plug it in again.

Leaving it plugged in is not a good idea.

5. Peewiglet thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Bear macrumors G3

Giving someone a simple Google search will not always return the results in the same order. It's better to give the direct link(s) in addition to the search you used to get it.

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yes.

8. Hansr macrumors 6502a

For something as simple as this I'm sure the same one will be on top independent of google's country geo-location differentiation for search results.

9. Peewiglet thread starter macrumors newbie

10. cinek macrumors 6502

I've asked exactly the same question when I got mine. Someone replied that they had it on charge all the time, and when the batterys health dropped, apple would not replace the battery as it had X unhealthy cicles. Use it on battery power when you can

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Stop spreading misinformation. That is simply not true.

Apple has a knowledge base article regarding this exact question.

Here, read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can plug it in anytime you need to. The best approach is to run on battery when you need to and plug it in when you can. Just don't leave it plugged in all the time, as the battery needs to be used periodically to keep it healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

13. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

This is completely incorrect and is basically the worst thing to do. Back when people used NiMH batteries, they had a memory so it was best to run them down each time. With Li-ion batteries, the opposite is true, and nowadays almost any electronic device uses Li-ion (cell phones, digital cameras, etc). It's just fine to keep it plugged in all the time, but you will definitely shorten the life if you continuously run it down. The more load there is on the battery, the shorter the life.

Unless you're calibrating it, don't let it run down.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

False. Leaving it plugged in all the time will shorten the battery life. It's not necessary to drain it all the way, but it doesn't harm it to do so when necessary. Read the Battery FAQ I posted for facts. Pay special attention to the AC POWER section near the bottom.

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You're right - I didn't clarify enough. Being that it's a laptop, I assumed that "all the time" meant most of the time, like overnight or for a few days at a time. Since it's a portable, I figured that it would get run down to 50% or so every few days giving the battery the sufficient usage recommended. Keeping it plugged in literally 100% of the time isn't good as you mentioned.

16. Peewiglet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the further postings, and links. I'm glad I returned for another look. This is more complicated than I'd imagined! I'm following the calibration instructions referred to in the FAQ now.

Thanks again.