Okay to swap SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lwilliams, Oct 25, 2014.

1. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

Currently have the i6. Can't use it much as my wife loves it and keeps it n her hands whenever we leave the house. She has always preferred a NON smartphone.

So, I'm thinking, use her upgrade to order an i6 Plus. She does not want a Plus. I think I do.

So the plan is get the Plus and swap the SIM cards.

Is this going to work? Does the account and phone number follow the SIM? Or, does it all follow the IMEI?

2. goknicks macrumors member

same carrier? Yes, it will work right away, but might need to call your carrier to update IMEI (not positive it's a must)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

No real reason to call the carrier to update IMEI unless there's a provisioning difference related to the plan or capabilities. I wouldn't think that would matter on iphone 6 vs 6+ with the same carrier.

In any event the carrier gets the IMEI from the phone when it registers on the network. With AT&T, every time I've swapped SIMs around the OLAM usually displayed the correct phone within a day or two even without my telling them anything. (this is also why they'll soon know if you've taken a feature phone SIM and put it into a smartphone and put a data plan on that line)

4. lwilliams thread starter macrumors regular

lwilliams

I have a grandfathered Unlimited data plan on my line, a 3gb on my daughter's line. I will add a 3gb for my wife.

So, will I still have the Unlimited on mine? Does it follow the SIM?

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Your "identity" as far as the carrier is concerned follows the SIM not the phone. Its only when the phone requires (by policy usually) a different plan that it makes any different; e.g. years ago when switching from a blackberry to an iphone or vice versa.