Okay to use a Mac with the lid closed -- or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sounds Good, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Since the screen on a MB or MBP can't be pushed all way down (flat with the desk), I might have to keep the lid closed when I hook up the laptop to my external monitor. The reason has to do with space constraints.

So here's my question: Can a Mac be used with the lid closed, or not? I've read warnings from people that say the Macs get so hot that it would damage the machine to keep the lid closed. Is this true, or just an exaggeration?

Bottom line: is it okay to use a Mac with the lid closed -- or not?

Thanks! :)

2. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Yes it is ok. I do it all the time. I have never had any problems. I have a Macbook which mainly vents out the back.

3. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Where do the MBPs vent out of?

4. JPT macrumors regular

Same as a MB :)

5. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Good stuff. Thanks.

6. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

how do you run this clamshell mode without it going to sleep?

7. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

If you connect an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard, OS X will allow you to run it without it sleeping. If you want it to run without those things, you need a hack. There is one called InsomniaX, if you search on Google MacUpdate has it. Its a menubar item that allows you to turn on the no-sleep mode.

8. john2006wright macrumors regular

9. Brentnal macrumors member

The above is 100% OK.

If you want to increase cooling even further, look at getting a stand which will raise the MB off the desk.

I suggest the mStand by Raindesign. But there are cheaper alternatives out there.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It should be fine. As mentioned, it's a supported configuration. In addition, I'm sure my MBP gets hotter while I'm playing WoW (with the lid open) than it would under general use with the lid closed, and I haven't had any issues :)

11. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You need to connect the external monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the MBP, and then close the lid, allowing it to go to sleep. Then wake up the computer by hitting a key on the keyboard, with the external monitor plugged in and turned on. It should wake up, and the laptop screen should turn off- allowing you to work in lid-closed mode.

If you are using a bluetooth enabled keyboard, make sure that "allow bluetooth devices to wake up computer" is checked in the system preferences.

I do not use any hack, or 3rd party software- this method works well, and is defined by Apple themselves.

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You google it?

13. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

What happens to the WiFi connection when the MBP goes to sleep for those few seconds before you wake it again?