Okay to use PSU-Monitor power chord on old Power Macintosh?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tevion5, Sep 12, 2016.

1. tevion5, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I use an Apple Multiple Scan 15" with my Power Macintosh 8600. For the last 2 years or so I have used separate power cords to power each of them, taking up two sockets. Recently I figured that seeing as the 8600 has a daisy chain capable PSU, it might make sense to plug the monitor into that with one of those weird male-female power cords. I ordered one (beige thankfully) and it hooks up fine, but at this point I wondered whether it was a good idea to do so.

Will the extra power needed be drawn from the mains straight through with no extra stress on the raging PSU, or could it potentially be asking more of it in some form? I would rather not have to replace that PSU for a long time so I would prefer to remain on the side of caution.

Am I right to be concerned here, or is my half assed knowledge of power supplies making me pause for no reason?

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I would save the power chords for some good old fashioned rock and roll. after there/they're/their, this has to be the most misused spelling out there.

the daisy chain is not through the PSU, just an outlet extension the comes directly off of the power cord socket into the computer.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Honestly, the daisy chain is the way to go if you have it available.

As said, it's a direct pass-through, but it's switched with the computer. Not only do you only have one cord to plug into the wall, but also only one power button to push.

Keep your eyes open and you'll even find "rainbow" cords to match watch shipped with the B&W G3-Sawtooth. I have one that came with my near perfect B&W.

4. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I can barely manage bar chords with my short fingers so I'll make sure to stick with cord on this forum from now on!

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I have one too :). I think it was for the monitor, just to go along with Apple's 1-plug mentality (see the iMac g3 internet commercial)