Okay, WTF? My Mac is NOT 5 weeks old! D=

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I've only had it for a maximum of a week and a few days, and yet coconut battery tells me I've had it for 5! D=
    Does apple have this kind of information too? Because if so, I find that extremel unfair!
    Also, interestingly enough, it says my current battery capacity is 6513 mAH, while the original capacity was 6300 mAH... And yet, it only seems to charge up to 99% after about 2-5 cycles. =/

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It shows the age of your Mac (since manufacture), not how long you've had it, how on earth could it possibly know that?

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Think about this: this is from the time it was finished manufacturing, not the time it got in to your hands. And it rarely charges to 100%, 99 is normal. The search button is wonderful to find info about that.

Did you buy your Mac in a store? If you did, it probably sat on the shelf. These things come in big pallets (packages of about 50 or 60) to the Apple Stores. Or, if you ordered it online, it may have sat in the warehouse, if it was a standard configuration option model.

BTW, I'm not sure why you're worrying about this. Your warranty starts at the time of purchase and not manufacture.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's based on your serial number which indicates your date of manufacture. Sure Apple knows how old the computer is, they made it; but if this is about warranty, don't worry, Apple knows when you bought it.

5. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Ah, okay. =)
    For some reason, I thought it applied from the first moment you used it... Since the first time you use Macs feels almost like you're activating them. :p

Also, does anybody know if there's a way to check how much warranty you have left? (I want to know how long I have to buy AppleCare, since it's expensive here in Mex and hard to come by to boot. I'd rather wait until June/July to buy it in the U.S.)

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1. Find your receipt

2. Find the purchase date on said receipt

3. Look at the date

4. Look at the last number of the year

5. Add 1 to it

6. Look at new date - That's when your factory warranty is up.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you buy it online, the warranty starts is the day it ships, not the day you buy it. ;)

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

By all means you SHOULD be freaking out about this!