Okey dokey - dumb question #1 for the gurus:

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gsh999, Dec 23, 2009.

1. gsh999 macrumors newbie

I have Photoshop CS2 on a Mac iBook G4.

I also have a Mac Mini.

Can I transfer CS2 to the Mac Mini? I want to do this so I can upgrade to CS4 on the Mini.

I don't believe it's possible but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for any advice. I could not find an answer by searching the forums.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okey dokey - dumb answer number two:

Use a specific and descriptive thread title so people with knowledge about this fact can properly click on it and answer your question.

It's like marketing or advertising, in order to reach the right audience you have to be clear in your communication. It even is helpful with communicating outside of advertising and marketing if I think of it.

3. gsh999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol.

No thank you for your non-answer. At least my dumb question actually contained a question.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I can't answer your question but would reiterate spinnerlys' comment. A descriptive title would be most beneficial for you. Msny newbies ask questions here with poor titles so those who may have an answer are simply not drawn to them.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i am 95% sure that its not possible but you can try, IIRC it might ask you to re-activate (providing that all goes well).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want to get people to see your post and answer your question, then you definitely need to provide a descriptive title. Just putting dump question #1 isn't going to cut it.

You want help with transferring photoshop, put that in the title, its not that difficult.

7. mambodancer macrumors 6502

mambodancer

CS4 upgrade

You should not need to install CS2 on your new computer if you have the original serial number in hand.

You begin installing CS4 upgrade CD/DVD. During the installation process it should prompt you to scan for a previous install of CS or to manually enter the serial number from your CS2 install disks. You should have the serial number stickers in the original documentation of CS2. After you enter that serial number, CS4 will ask for the upgrade serial number from the CS4 documentation. After that, you should be done. (after the obligatory software updates, that is)

NOTE: CS3 can be installed on 2 different computers. The software must be activated with the Adobe serial number server. CS1 requires no serial server activation. If CS2 required activation with a serial server, and you no longer wish to run it on the old computer, you should probably deactivate that serial first, before doing the install. Directions for deactivating the serial number so that you can reregister on another computer can be found on Adobes site.

And next time people...how about cutting some slack for a new poster? Do you really need to feel the need to chastise someone and not even bother to offer to help afterwards? That's just bad manners.

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

microsoft has gurus, apple has geniuses. its ok....your a noob:p

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No chastising. Just a little constructive criticism. We could not help with the OPs question but maybe help draw in the right people. I see nothing negative in that, do you?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just because someone is new on this forum doesn't exclude the knowledge of proper communication. That could be considered bad manners too, you know?

So after we saw what the problem was, and weren't able to answer properly we gave advice on how to gain the right audience, which might and will stay away, for the most part, on seeing such a general and, for the lack of a better word, dumb thread title.
    We might have been more polite, but as live goes on on such forums, we, being here for awhile, have seen many such titles and are a bit fed up by the lack of some kind of etiquette.

But at least you found the thread and could help the OP. That's what matters in the end. Or maybe it doesn't.

11. gsh999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I hope I don't get raked over the coals for top-posting. :p

The machines are at work so I have to go through our sad excuse of a software "library" to find the install disks.

Photoshop on a laptop doesn't make much sense to me because I need to see the images well to work on them. Of course, it's possible tp plug in another monitor to the laptop but that doesn' amke much sense to me, either.

Thanks a lot for the advice and Merry Christmas. :D

12. Salmar macrumors regular

Don't take spinnerlys post as being critical because he is absolutely right. For an example say I was having a problem with my browser (Camino) and I needed help with it I would put (Camino problem) as my subject and by doing so it would attract other Camino users to help with my problem. It would narrow down the responders to those with Camino expertise. It makes good sense.