Oklahoma store advising to turn off 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bob Stovall, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Bob Stovall macrumors newbie

I know most of the people on this thread are stating problems in New York, Los Angeles, etc, but everywhere that has a strong 3G signal in Oklahoma is having problems as well... All of the iphone users I know as friends are having dropped call after dropped call, and some are never even getting a call, just receiving voicemail. Anyway, the Penn Square store Apple Genius just told me to turn of 3G and I'll save battery life as well as the phone should work better... If that's the case, I wish I hadn't spent the cash on a new phone as the 1st gen iphone would let me have app store, etc...

The question is, if I must do this, then should AT&T start to take away the 3G fees of $10.00 per month? Surely Apple can talk AT&T into some action until a fix arrives. I believe that most people who say they don't have any problems think that 10 dropped calls per day is normal...

Still an Apple fan but Steve... you gotta take care of this! I can see the Microsoft commercials now...

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Same topic (different city) can be found here, where I have already posted my opinion on this one.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Funny I live in Tulsa and I have really good 3G here 4-5 bars all day everyday.

4. Bob Stovall thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh... I've got 5 bars of 3G and dropped calls on a hourly basis!

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Now I don't make a lot of phone calls but when I do I don't get dropped calls. I'll admit I don't see a real blazing fast 3G speed though, I rarely get the speeds I see posted on here. *Sigh* I am beginning to hate AT&T.

I guess you can be angry with Apple for choosing AT&T, but this is America all of are wireless providers are problematic in one way or another.

6. Bob Stovall thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you, but when I had Sprint, I never dropped a call.. (all digital network from the ground up) and evdo speeds were great! Watched Slingbox on my phone all the time with no dropped frames. I know, I know.. I chose Apple and it was my choice, and the UI is far superior to other phones, but imaging if you had just bought a new fancy car and the dealer said not to use reverse... That's why I feel just for the meantime, until a fix is out, that AT&T and Apple partner to give users a credit of some sort, or at least for people like me who are having more than 35% dropped calls...

7. Red Sox macrumors regular

I was at that store last Sunday, and I saw one of them telling a guy to do the same thing (maybe that was you?). It was the blond apple employee at the genius bar. He had a lisp. Was that the guy you were talking to?

This is surprising to me, since I get great 3G reception all over OKC. Very fast internet speeds too.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree with the first part but the second part...

I look at the speeds people post on here and I just don't see it. I have on rare occasion's topped 1 mbps but not often. Faster than Edge sure, but not "twice as fast" all the time here.

Now here is the funny part I run a test on my laptop using my laptop connect card on 3G and it smokes my iPhone speed test. Usually more than twice as fast, now I know comparing a phone and a laptop is like apple's and orange's but shouldn't it be kinda close to the same speed?

If your curious I use a MBA 1.8 ghz for my test's.

9. Red Sox macrumors regular

Well I think it depends on where you are. I remind you, I'm in Oklahoma. Most of the inbred white trash rednecks here don't even know how to add a new contact to their old nokia candybar phones. I don't think that too much of the 3G internet bandwidth is being used.

I did some measurements when I first got my iPhone 3G, and I get at least 4X the speed of EDGE.

10. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Weird thing, I can look at my phones signal throughout the day and it usually has very few bars (0-3) but I always have good talk quality when talking, am always able to send out SMS messages and have really fast 3G... all the same as when I have all the bars full.

"I believe that most people who say they don't have any problems think that 10 dropped calls per day is normal..."

Or... they just don't have any dropped calls? I mean, it IS a possibility. Just because some people have problems doesn't mean EVERYONE does. I actually know a few people here that don't have dropped calls on the 3G which makes it seem like it's a network problem. Either the 3G strength in your area is weak or is overloaded. We just got our 3G here within the last month and so that might contribute some to it, but it's also a college town and a lot of kids have the iPhone 3G so there's a reasonable about of people using 3G here and it's still ALWAYS fine for me and others. That's FINE as in ZERO dropped calls, not the 10 that you assume.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Part of me wonders if they aren't and people are posting this just to troll...

12. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

It's not Steve's fault. It's AT&T's fault. Apple does not operate the cell phone network and you did not sign a two-year agreement with Apple and you do not send monthly payments to Apple. AT&T is the company you need to talk to.

(I live in Orange County, CA, about 35 minutes south of Los Angeles, and I have 3-4 bars of 3G most of the time, and I have only had one dropped call in the 4 weeks that I have had my phone now. It switches seamlessly between 3G and EDGE when 3G is not available (which is becoming more and more rare. when I first got my phone, 3G was scarce. Now 3G is everywhere))

13. Bob Stovall thread starter macrumors newbie

Talked with AT&T this morning... The operator said she was filling out a form for complaints about the 3G service and iphones, then reset my phone, but still no difference in service... I think I'll just revert to edge until this mess gets straightened out... Hate paying the extra $ for 3G though...

14. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

thats weird I dont have any dropped calls or bad coverage.. tulsa here

15. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

agree 100%

4-5 bars of 3G constantly and never once a dropped call.

Minneapolis/St. Paul here

16. Bob Stovall thread starter macrumors newbie

So I'm guessing that the biggest problems are in New York City, Los Angeles and Oklahoma City.. ;) Most all of my friends are having the same problem I am... Just wondering, do you think the shipment for OKC was just a bad batch of phones?