Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Been thinking about going to Munich this year for Oktoberfest, has anyone ever made this trip before, and is it worth all the money I'll spend on airfare, hotel and beer, or is it a completely overrated experience? Of course, drinking won't be the only thing we'd be doing, will definitely be seeing what else the city has to offer. I've been to Berlin and loved it and would like to see more of Germany.

One thing I'm confused on though, is some things I'm reading online say you need reservations to get into a tent, but reservations are for large groups, and I'd be going with a small group (one, maybe two other people), so it sounds like we might not even be able to get in?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I went in 2003 and 2004, first time actually camped in a tent with friends. We didn't need a reservation to get into the beer tents but there was a line usually. I really enjoyed Munich itself, very nice town and worth going irrespective of Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest is something you should see once, all the locals dressed in lederhosen, drindels (sp?) and omm pah pah bands and really good beer was fun.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm living in Munich and pretty much avoid everything Oktoberfest related.
Oh my, if it'd be only possible to avoid these Lederhosen and Dirndl...but I don't want to be the buzzkill here. For me the good thing is that the other nice places, i.e. the Isar, are far less populated. I'm from Berlin so that may explain my dislike for such a travesty..but if you like drinking beer along thousands of other drunk..go for it! :D

You don't need a reservation or invitation if coming with such a small party - just come early enough and bring a good chunk of money! :D

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I'm living in Munich and pretty much avoid everything Oktoberfest related.
Oh my, if it'd be only possible to avoid these Lederhosen and Dirndl...but I don't want to be the buzzkill here. For me the good thing is that the other nice places, i.e. the Isar, are far less populated. I'm from Berlin so that may explain my dislike for such a travesty..but if you like drinking beer along thousands of other drunk..go for it! :D

You don't need a reservation or invitation if coming with such a small party - just come early enough and bring a good chunk of money! :D

So has it become a tourist trap? Are there other places that do the same thing without such huge crowds?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
So has it become a tourist trap? Are there other places that do the same thing without such huge crowds?

Well, not saying that a tourist trap like this can't be worth while. Depends on what people expect and enjoy - it sure is expensive. I hear lots of people are really enjoying it - to each their own I guess.

There is a kind of very traditional beer-fest some weeks / about a month earlier nearby Munich which got highly recommended to me - should display much more original folklore with much less buzz and artificial hype (* you still get the Lederhosen and Dirndl though). If you're really interested, I could find out what the name was and when it's taking place. I don't really like beer nor sitting on these benches so I quickly forgot about it.

I can recommend going to the 'Biergärten' in the city though. You can bring your own food and they are usually quite nice and refreshing when the weather is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.