Ol' iMac acting sick

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael CM1, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Well, this is a last resort before I hit the Genius Bar.

I have a G5 iMac that locked up (the spinnin' beach ball kept a-goin) a few days ago. I tried plain restarting a bazillion times without success. It would just go to a blue screen and sit there about 15 seconds after the Apple logo screen.

Looked up some help at Apple's site. Told me to find the install discs that came with the computer. I took those, held C when booting to boot from DVD, and started a repair install. It starts installing and goes for a bit, but I don't exactly sit there and wait for the second disc prompt. Come back about an hour later and I've got a baby blue screen with a mouse pointer.

So basically I'm stumped. I figured I would have some mild success with the DVD install (formatting and reinstalling Windows usually worked on PCs), but I'm out of ideas. I have a theory that the hard disk may be dying, but I can't say that for sure. This thing seems to have been running slower than it should (even for a G5) for a long time now.

In other news, I have been keeping it backed up on an external HDD with Time Machine. If I can get the computer back up, I can access the old data on there, correct?

2. n8mac macrumors 6502

Some questions...
    1. Have you changed anything with the hardware lately (upgrades)?
    2. About how much HD space on your boot drive did you have free last time you checked?

Typically when troubleshooting you want to remove all unnecessary hardware upgrades, even your external HDD.

Sure, no problemo.