Old 15" MBP vs new 15" MBP. Worth $540 more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jay12, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jay12 macrumors member

I can get a brand new 15" Macbook pro that is the old model for $1260. Is the new model worth $540 more?? I don't do much that would need the extra processing power I don't think. Are the monitors the same? Thanks

2. frunk macrumors member

Pay the extra 550. You'll enjoy the Quad Core, plus your tech won't be obsolete in a year.

3. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

what kind of work do you do?

4. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

It's worth it if you'll use the extra power...Giving my grandma a quad core = not worth it.

5. Beige Panda macrumors newbie

"Obsolete" is a strong word. My desktop PC with a 2ghz core2duo still runs everything just fine and is way more powerful than what 90% of computer users need.

If you won't take advantage of the extra speed, save your money IMO.

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

He said he doesn't do much that would require more power. I'm sure his old i5 or whatever will be fine. If he wants to future proof, then that's another story. These things will be chugging along for years. Doubt I'll need to upgrade for 4 years this time around, but nobody knows what crazy advances the future will bring. Retina displays would tempt an earlier upgrade.

If he could go with 13" instead, it might be worth it to get the high end i7 13", but the graphics won't be worth crap. The price isn't so huge a difference, at least I don't think. Can't remember every price config.

7. jay12 thread starter macrumors member

I currently have a 18 month old 13" pro and I mainly just want the bigger display. I really just surf the net and do some stuff in Iphoto. I think the older model will be fine for me. Thanks for the input.:cool:

8. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Especially at the discounted prices now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jay12 thread starter macrumors member

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought the 2010 model.:D Couldn't pass up the $540 savings over the 2011 model. $1260 for a new 15" Macbook Pro. I don't think I would hardly ever use the thunderbolt and I don't do anything that would really require the extra processing power. Now it's time to do the migration assistant and be ready to roll.:cool:

10. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Where did you find it for that price? I could use a bigger screen but my 13" Macbook with the 2.2GHz core 2 duo is fast enough for me. Sounds like buying a 2010 15" macbook pro would be a good solution. $1800 for a new one is tough to swallow.

11. jay12 thread starter macrumors member

Got it at Best Buy. I was in the same boat as you I really wanted the bigger screen but just couldn't really justify dropping 1800. If you want one I would check soon as they will probably be out quick. They had a managers special which was an extra 10% off of the already discounted price.:)

12. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. It's $1461 on bestbuy.com. I'll check a couple local stores and see if I can get it cheaper.