old 160 gig vs new 160 gig

Discussion in 'iPod' started by johnnj, Aug 17, 2010.

1. johnnj macrumors 6502a

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not too bright so I'll ask it anyway.

For the last 6 months my older thick 160 gig (from when there was an 80 and a 160 classic to choose from) has been dedicated to living in my car, since I got one with ipod integration. I'd been just using my iphone for normal portable use. Anyway, I got tired of the limited library I had on the iphone (my full library is about 95 gigs) and this weekend I got one of the current 160 ipods, which is thinner than my old one.

My question is this... how come with the old one when I scrolled through the artist list it'd pop up the starting letters and I could quickly locate from A to say S without spinning around and around. Then with the new one, the white box with the black starting letter doesn't pop up and I do have to spin the damn thing around and around until it gets to artist I want.

I went through the settings and found nothing like "turn off the useful first letter feature". I know there's the separate search thing, but that's not what I'm looking for.

So, does the new one suck more than the old one or am I too dumb to figure this out?

Thanks...

John

edit: ok, wait.. it just did it, but only once and I can't repeat it. Maybe I need to do a restore?

2. johnnj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nevermind. It's doing it now. I think the clickwheel on my new one isn't as sensitive as the old one.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yup, click-wheels went downhill after the video iPod which IMO is the best ipod ever.