Old 17" Hi-Res screen vs. LED Hi-Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whateverandever, Mar 18, 2008.

1. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Can anyone give a good comparison between the two?
    Is the LED backlit screen noticeably different?

I know jumping to the LED screen in the 15" seemed pretty nice, but it might have just been my imagination after using a Core Duo machine for a while.

Wondering if I should foot the extra bucks for a 17" new model over a refurb.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Keep what you have, is it really worth going through all the trouble? Yes the LED screen on the new 17" MBP is really bright corner to corner and lighting is more evenly lit but to get rid of what you have already is extreme just to get a nominally brighter screen. Save yourself for a more major upgrade.

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I think the OP is asking if he should buy a hi-res refurb or a new LED hi-res. OP: if you have a student discount, I think the newer machine will be worth it for the screen and multi-touch alone. If you do not have the student discount, you really need to figure out your budget. I've seen some scary comparisons between a two year old screen and a new LED screen, and it's amazing how quickly CCFLs seem to dim. So, if you can afford it, go with the new model. If you can't, I'm sure you will live. The last gen 17" hi-res is an amazing machine.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Get the led model you will be very pleased and glad that you did. :D

Why would you go back to old technology with ccfl and dimmer and non instant on display? Also dont forget the nasty inverters on the ccfl (which has alot of problems in displays and uses up alot of power).

5. mr. feeny macrumors member

Couldn't agree more.

6. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

+1

7. dja1 macrumors newbie

i switched to the new led. is it worth it? I think it was. much brighter cleaner looking screen, and the battery is lasting alot longer. im getting 4-5 hours with wireless and bluetooth off.running fusion/word excel etc.

8. whateverandever thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input!

If anyone has some side-by-side comparisons of the old and new screens, that would be fantastic! ;)

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

pictures of them side by side wont do them any justice. You have to see it in real life and its amazingly better on the led! I compared the 15" SR mbp led screen to a hi res mbp 17" (non led) and the difference is just too HUGE and yes 17' was on its full brightness and was on for a good 30 minutes.

The led just seems to make the screen pop out at you like 1080p hd material as to the ccfl looks faded/dull looking and that much dimmer. The led screens are just so vivid and clear, after owning my mbp for a year now I still cant believe the vivid/clearness/pop/eye candyness of my 15" SR mbp compared next to the 23" ACD. I wish the ACD's get updated to led soon.... led on my 15" mbp alone makes me want to use it more than my mac pro configured on my signature with the 23" acd..