Old 2.4Ghz Black Macbook or new 2.0Ghz Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by budkid, Oct 15, 2008.

1. budkid macrumors regular

I was debating this morning before buying the new macbook. What would be the difference between the old 2.4Ghz Black Macbook and the new 2.0Ghz Macbook with Nvidia Graphics.

The 2.4Ghz black Macbook now sells for $1199 and the new one for $1249 with student discount.

2. rd261 macrumors regular

depends

It depends. If you are not planning on using the machine for graphic intensive jobs (such as games and video editing), and if you are not crazy about the new design and trackpad then the black macbook is for you. I use mine mainly for school, non-professional photo editing (general photoshop use), web browsing, music, and video chat. Needless to say I couldn't be happier with the blacbook. I bought it 3 months ago and I expect to get at least 2 more years out of it, and by that time there will be a bigger different between "the old macbook" and the "new macbook". Right now both models are very similar under the hood (except for the nvidia card which is marginally better than the x3100)

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You can get the blackbook for $1099 refurb, if that helps your decision :)

4. Hissori macrumors member

but speed wise, would the new 2.0 be faster or the old 2.4 be faster. although the ghz is worse, the new 2.0 does come with faster ram and other stuff =\

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

New one is probably faster in most aspects, but only benchmarks will tell for sure.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Like to know the answer to that myself , I guess we'll have to wait for someone to test it

7. budkid thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies...

I will mostly use it for school work and photo editing(RAW conversion and photoshop.)

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

The updated, LED screen in the new one is worth it.

My wife has the same screen in her Macbook Air, and compared to the 'old' Macbook screen, it is night and day different. The new screens are fantastic.

9. David G. macrumors 6502a

I would say for school weight would come into play as well as the graphics card if using Aperture or PS CS4 and the like. Go for the new one.

10. OceanView macrumors 65816

Out with the old, in with the new!

The new macbook is so sexy, how could you not buy it?

Easy decision for me.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 2.4 GHz model wins for raw clock speed operations but the newer models have better IGP solutions.

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

The new MacBook has less GHz, but faster RAM and cache.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The faster RAM isn't going to amount to much.

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Exactly. You can easily edit video on the black one, the RAM is cheaper to upgrade (you can buy 4GB's for $40 compared to $150 for the new one), and the processor speed is better on the black one. Either choice is a good one though. While the graphics are better on the new one, they are still lacking if you play intensive graphic games. I use my desktop and gaming machine if I game anyway. Looks wise I hate the 2 tone new one, but to each their own on that. That is a personal choice, plus you have to take in consideration the 1st gen bugs that usually show up.

Good luck with your choice.

15. pinktank macrumors 6502

I got a 2.4 with 4gigs under the refurbished price

16. budkid thread starter macrumors regular

I did end up going for the new one just because it was the new model. I was just still thinking if I made a good choice.

thanks everyone...

17. JCafaro macrumors newbie

No firewire port. I canceled my new 2.4 macbook and ordered an old 2.4 refurb with 2 gigs of ram and saved 500 bucks and got my firewire port.

18. brettinlj macrumors member

Did you decide that after seeing it in person? I am one of several people that have posted trying to make the same decision: refurb 2.4 blackbook or the new 2.0. The first site that posts the benchmarks side by side for the two will sure get some hits!

I'm going to wait until Saturday and check it out in person.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. brettinlj macrumors member

** Update **
    I made my decision (see my sig).

After playing with this Macbook in person, I decided to spend more money for the 2.0 Ghz new one. A few things influenced my decision:

1) The look feel of the new one: lighter and more solid, kind of like the Air. It looks better and sleeker in person than in pictures.
    2) The next version of Mac OS supposedly relies more on 3D graphics performance and may give the ability to use the GPU for application processing. I plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it is released.
    3) Resale value: If I decide I need more horsepower in a year or two, I can resell this newer model for a few hundred more than the older 2.4Ghz because it will still be the current generation.

I love this thing! I'm going to try it out in the sun tomorrow in the park, so I will report on how the glossy screen works out in that environment. BTW, the sales guy gave me $100 for being a student and online you only get $50 for the 2.0 Ghz MB. :D

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You will be better off with the new MacBook. I did some minor photo editing in Photoshop on my Blackbook and instantly the fans would go nuts.

The new MacBook's cool much better as well.