Old 20" 2.4ghz vs New 20" 2.4ghz ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BilboBaggins, May 6, 2008.

1. BilboBaggins macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2007
    Which iMac would be the better buy if both can be had for the almost the same price?

I intend to use it for web browsing, MS word/excel, iphoto, itunes, watching HD movies, and a little gaming (sims 2).

For my intended use, which is the better buy? The older model, which has a slightly better GPU and larger HD; or the newer model, which has a lesser HD and GPU but faster FSB and memory.
  2. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2005
    UK, South Coast
    I had exactly this dilemma today !

..in the end I went for the 'old' 2.4GHz model as the 2600 Pro 256Mb card is quite a bit better than the 2400 128Mb in the 'new' iMacs and the extra storage is nice too - I figured the clock speed would make little difference between the two.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    A fairly lengthy discussion of this issue occurred in this thread.
  4. robby818 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
    At Amazon, the old 20" 2.4 Ghz is $1218 after rebate and the new 20" is $1144 after rebate.

I opted for the old 20" because the Macworld review here shows a significant difference in video card performance. The extra hard drive space didn't matter too much to me. It was mostly the graphics card that swayed me.

5. BilboBaggins thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2007
    Cool thanks for the replies. It seems that that the supposed increased speed is pretty much negligible. I guess ill be ordering the older 20" imac unless someone has a good reason to opt for the newer 20" (I don't care too much about resale value).