Old 20" iMac and new 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sapphire08, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sapphire08 macrumors member

Sapphire08

I've had my 20" iMac for just over 3 years (I love it to bits but I need a bit more power, waiting for spreadsheets to open takes soo long, beach ball during safari use with lots of multi-tasking and wanting to play better games) and i'm thinking of buying a new 27" iMac - is it possible to use the 20" as a second monitor for the new one?

I'm so use to dual screens that I couldn't go back to 1 monitor although I'm hoping the bigger one will be better for screen real estate, although other threads lead me to wonder about the 27" being too big???

If i can't use it - i'm wondering about making into a server so that other users in the house can share documents and software - is that possible?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions and help please?

PS I tried using my Mac book pro with 2nd monitor for a little extra power but the fan noise drives me to distraction after the nearly silent operation of my iMac

2. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

27 is pretty slow too. Buying a MacBook Air and then using the 20'' as a display might work better. Or if you increase the RAM of the 20''.

3. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

I've already upgraded the Ram to max spec set my Apple.

In the nicest possible way how can a 1.7ghz macbook air with a second monitor possibly compare to a 3.1ghz 27" iMac ?? :confused:

Are really telling me that a new 1.7ghz macbook air is going to be more powerful than my old 2.4ghz iMac??

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

i think you have a 2008 iMac which runs off the Core 2 duo processor. the new i5's and i7's are around 30% faster. i Have a 2010 imac and a 2011 mac mini and multi tasking is a breez.

5. AdrianK, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

AdrianK macrumors 68020

CPU wise, yes. Your iMac scores 3338 in geekbench, while a 13" i5 2011 MBA scores 5349. The Core2Duo to Core i step-up was substantial, and the sandy bridge CPUs were also a massive improvement from the previous generation.

6. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

ok thank you guys - that's opened my eyes up to the power increases made in the last 3 years :eek:

a) Any other uses for my old iMac then??

b) Would it work as a server? (We currently use file sharing from my drop box but its no good for files that need altering by more than 1 computer with a different user - so many times we have permission issues - its infuriating :confused:)

c) Am I correct it can't be used as a 2nd screen for the new one? (without 3rd party screen sharing apps that use a wifi network as our internet is just not fast enough - only get 1mb on a good day:mad: )

7. JRS21015, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

JRS21015 macrumors newbie

Get the HDD tested in the old iMac.

When my 4 year old 24" iMac did as yours is doing, slow opening docs, beach ball during browsing I took it to Apple. It was still under Apple care. Took them all of 5 minutes to diagnose a poor performing ( dying ) HDD.

A new Macbook Air may blow away your old iMac, however .....

A new iMac will blow away a new Macbook Air.

My new 27" iMac Geekbench score is 11668.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Whenever you have multiple users reading and writing to the same file you'll have permissions issues. Using a different kind of file server won't solve that problem.

Running a small server for only your household will use very little resources anyway, you don't need a dedicated server for it (though I understand that you may still want it dedicated, for whatever reason).

Correct, you can't. There is software for the iPad which will trick your Mac in to thinking that there's a second display attached, which is then displayed on the iPad. It's entirely possible for someone to create something similar for Mac OS X, and I imagine the performance would be pretty decent if linked over gigabit ethernet. I just don't know if something like this exists.

9. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

What is the specs of your 27''iMac?

10. JRS21015, Feb 18, 2012

27" i7 / 3.4 Ghz / 8 GB Ram

Here are the results of Geekbench ( 32 bit mode )

System Information ......

11. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

How do you do the 32 bit mode as opposed to 64

12. JRS21015, Feb 18, 2012

I went to Geek Bench website ..... http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

Downloaded the software.

For FREE they only allow you 32 bit mode.

If you want to run 64 bit mode you have to pay for the software.

Geekbench Software Version = Version 2.2.6 (202006)

13. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

Apart from the obvious screen size difference physically - is there much difference in performance / use of the two following machines please??

21.5" 2.7ghz i5 with 6770m 512mb and the 27" 3.1ghz i5 with 6970m with 1GB

14. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

Incase anybody is thinking of making the switch - Do it !!!!

My new 27" iMac is awesome - everything just works so much faster and better and the huge screen is sooo beautiful - its stunning and I don't think I'll need my second monitor anymore = bonus!!!!

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Agreed!

I was hesitant about getting the 27", but I sold my 17" MBP and made the jump.

I was thinking of running an external 27" Apple display on the MBP, but I am really happy I did not do that.

I opted for the processor upgrade and slapped an additional 8GB of ram in the 27".