old 21.5'' base vs new 21.5'' base

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mp3province, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mp3province macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post.

I am from India, and like everyone else, have been waiting for the new Imac. The new Imacs are only expected in India in say February/March 2013.

The price of the old 21.5 '' base Imac is USD 1151 (for this model: MC309HN/A, specs: 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB)

The expected price of the new base 21.5'' Imac is USD 1525

I only use my computer for basic needs, sometimes corel draw and Photoshop. (BTW, can you get COREL for Imac?)

Would the old Imac be sufficient for my needs? Is the increase in price for the new model worth it?

I'm on a PC at the moment, been using this for 6 years with no issue (core 2 due, 4 gb ram, win7)....do you think the old one will be able to last the same time with no upgrades?

Is the screen in the new Imac much better than the old one?

Or I could even purchase an old base 27'' for USD 1630

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mp3province thread starter macrumors newbie

3. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I have a thread about the new iMacs from a 21.5" perspective.

Basically, if you're OK w/ them dropping the OD, firewire port and downgrading to a 5400rpm HDD then the new one may be worth the new screen (hard to say how it'll hold up, time will only tell) and CPU/GPU bump.

From where I stand, the 2011 model is looking better and better.

4. mp3province thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I certainly feel the same way.

I have also posted on another site. You may read the responses here

I think I will purchase the 2011 May Base 27'' and I will upgrade RAM and add a SSD (Will do it myself with the help of ifixit guides)

In India we pay USD 100 for two years Apple Care. I presume I should get this too? Would installing SSD drives void warranty? Can't I just remove the SSD drive before sending my Imac for repair (if it ever screws up)?

Thanks!

5. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

Sounds like the way to go, yes. Additional Applecare is always good. I'm a Mac newbie, but the way I understand, it would void the warranty. Of course I've heard of people swapping to the original if they need to send back the unit.

A Mac veteran would be best to tell you that for sure.

6. MacWanter macrumors member

At the moment, the new iMacs are replacing the old ones with the same price. I would say to get the newer one for the fact you get 1T of space, 8GB of ram and Glare Resistant glass. :)