Old 2G iPhone: Activate without Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

Hi I want to give my old 2G iPhone to my mom to replace her old phone. However she does not need a data plan and does not want to accidentally access the internet. The phone is currently hacked and unlocked. So what do I have to do to:
    1st Cancel the iPhone data plan
    2nd Put a data block on the account

Also we are using AT&T

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I don't think you can do that as far as I know because the iPhone uses visual voicemail which uses the data plan.

I am not to familiar with the hacks so I could be wrong .... that is if you aren't going to use AT&T. If you are, there is no way around it.

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

When I originally added a iPhone 2G to my Family plan I had ATT disable data on the line. I couldn't access visual voicemail, but I could call the voicemail number like most phones and access my voicemail that way. I've since added data to the line so I don't know if things still work the same way; this was ~1 year ago. I can't recall if the voicemail icon showed new voicemail, meaning you may have to call to even find out if you have voicemail.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant activate it officially thru itunes and not pick a data plan.
    What you can do is JB it and then stick your simcard in.
    Before you do that call up AT&T with any regural old flip phone and tell them to put a block on carrier data on your account.