Old 3G phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ziyonim58, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ziyonim58 macrumors newbie

I have an old 3G that I want to give to my wife. She has a nokia phone and does not have (or want) a data plan. Can I just insert her SIM and the phone will work? If it will work, will AT&T "sense" and charge her for data (although she does not want the data)? Please advise.

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I put an AT&T sim card from another phone into a 3G(S). I went onto the AT&T website and the information had already been updated to show the iPhone instead of my previous phone. However, until I called and asked for them to start the data plan, it just functioned as a phone and said "You need a cellular data plan to access the internet." whenever I tried Safari or the like. So I think you can have one without a data plan. If worse comes to worse, just stick the sim back in the Nokia.

Hope this helps,

3. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

AT&T will know you are using an iPhone and they will add a data plan on to your account automatically

4. ziyonim58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you serious? Is AT&T allowed to add data plan without my premission? I am not sure about that.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

First, they will send you a couple of text letting you know that they know you are using an iPhone without a data plan, and it will ask you to please contact AT&T ASAP to add a data plan to your account with a warning that failure to do so will result in AT&T adding a data plan automatically.

They can do it without your permission, but you get an advanced warning that they are going to do it, so you won't be blind-sighted.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not without your permission, all smartphones on AT&T are required to have a data plan.