Old 3GS Use Idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PerpetualOmega, Feb 25, 2014.

1. PerpetualOmega macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to permanently leave my old 3GS in my car for using as a media player. The iphone would be hidden and connected to the stereo via A2DP.

However, my question is: how would i transfer music onto the 3GS from home. My current phone has unlimited cell data and is the 3GS's personal hotspot

My car is too far from the house to WiFi sync.
    The 3GS phone will be connected to the new phone via personal hotspot when in range. (So syncing can take place then).

I thought about Dropbox, but you have to manually pull every song from the cloud.
    BTsync, but again have to pull the music.

Is there an app for me to place a music track into a folder on my desktop and have it automatically transfer to the 3GS?

thanks for your ideas.

Beanie

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can use iTunes Match. I also own a 3GS and almost never plug it into my computer, yet it still has access to my entire iTunes library thanks to iTunes Match.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Google Music. Sync it from your PC. Not sure if the app is compatible with iPhone 3Gs though.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This isn't meant to be a smartarse question (well maybe a little). Why not just take the phone inside when you want to add music to it? Seems far more convenient than doing all of this hotspot gibberish every time.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

+1 to this. Saves you sitting there waiting for sync etc

6. PerpetualOmega thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have to sit there as it will sync over the air as im moving.

----------

We didn't need to go to the moon, but we did.

----------

thank you CEmajr & Bacong for your advice.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can't sync over a personal hotspot only via iTunes Match or that god awful google player app. So your hands are tied so to speak

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not sure which version of the Google Play Music app you used, but you can download music via WiFi. You can also install a utility on your PC that allows you to sync your iTunes library with your Google Music account, up to 20k songs I believe.

On a side note, I very much prefer the Google Play Music app over the stock Music app on the iPhone.

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I use my 3gs exactly for that purpose. I bring it into the house when I want to sync it with iTunes for new music or to change my selections. But I don't get new music very ofter so it isn't a big issue for me.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Re read my post. I was referring to syncing via iTunes over wifi so to speak

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Do you buy your music from iTunes?

If you do, couldn't you just set the iPhone to automatically download new music from Settings? Then whenever it connected to the hotspot it would download any new purchased songs.