Old 4.0 iPhone 4.... Can I update it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Daneel7, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Daneel7 macrumors newbie

Hey,

This is my first post here so Heyyy :)

I recently lost my iPhone and am now using an old one that was Jailbroken using Jailbreakme about a year ago and is still on 4.0. Today I went to upgrade it to 4.3.3 and discovered that Apple are no longer signing that firmware.

Is there anyway I can upgrade the firmware to anything more recent and to a jailbreakable state? Mainly for the battery life!

I have read about SHSH and blops backups which I don't have, and from what I have read today, it doesn't sound like 4.3.4 with be untethered at all.

I fear a 'Nope' will be the answer, but is there anyway to update it?

Thank you

Andy

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

If it was jailbroken . Ur blobs MIGHT Be saved on Cydia servers.. Do this download tiny umbrella . And try fetching the blobs. Also u hav an unlockable baseband which u wud want to keep. Use custom firmware to upgrade if u have blobs on Cydia . Does Cydia show numbers on its home page in green color?

4. Daneel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Thank you both for the responses :)

@Abs_p On the Cydia homepage there is "SHSH: iOS 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2b3, 4.3.3" in green at the top of the page. Is that what your refering to?

Thanks again

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Leave it on 4.0 with the unlockable baseband until Pwnagetool/Sn0wbreeze are updated to untether 4.3.4 and then update and preserve the baseband. :) Or, if you have SHSH, update to a custom-made 4.3.3. There is no 4.3.4 untether anywhere right now.

6. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Yeah. U have blobs saved.. :) u r in luck. I would advice u to upgrade to 4.2.1 .. I have noticed it works better then 4.3.3.. Are u on a locked phone? Or a factory unlocked one?

7. Daneel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have downloaded TinyUmbrella and it has "All saved SHSHs" then a list of the firmwares including 4.2.1 with a number after them. I assume I have to use a program to create a custom firmware with the number in it?

Thank you for your help :)

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Use sn0wbreeze 2.2 for 4.2.1 :)
    Download 4.2.1 ipsw from google for iPhone 4..,if need help pm me. M off to bed. Will get back to u In the morning :)

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

PwnageTool (Mac) or Snowbreeze (Windows) will get you to iOS 4.2.1

www.iclarified.com has perfect guides on how to do this.

10. Daneel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Trying to make the Custom IPSW on sn0wbreeze, but keep getting an error saying it has failed because "" is not and integar :confused:

Downloading another Restore file now.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Never used snowbreeze. No clue on that error.

12. Daneel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

After some looking around it appears 2.2.1 is the one. 2.2 goes up to 4.2 and 2.2.1 is for 4.2.1.

I have the custom IPSW now to install it :)

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Before you restore with the custom firmware, having TinyUmbrella open with TSS Server running.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I use Sn0wbreeze quite a bit for phones that I buy/sell and I've never once run into that error.

15. Daneel7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it working now on 4.2.1 :)

I used sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 and after a hurried first go (when I didn't uncheck the Hactivaction, and was left with 4.2.1 working fine but no network lol) I redone it now and all is working fine :)

Thank you to every one for your help :)