"Old" 7600GT versus 'New' 2600HD Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cmvsm, Aug 7, 2007.

1. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Looking to perhaps upgrade my iMac but was concerned about the new video performance. For the most part, the 7600GT in my current iMac has done a great job in regard to my needs. WOW fps is extremely good with this card.

Anyone know how the new Radeon 2600HD Pro in the new iMacs will compare?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Honestly, I would advise against "upgrading" your iMac. If you are happy with it, don't sucker for new product fever. Plus, you wont get nearly as much money for it as you would have as recently as yesterday, obviously because newer models were released.

To your question, I think I saw a benchmark that showed these results. I'll see if I can find it again and I will post it here.

3. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Yep same here but i am switching from windows, I will be only playing wow so hopefully it will preform good.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. cmvsm thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Too bad about the 2600HD Pro being slower than the 'old' 7600GT on the new 24" iMacs. I'd like to see the actual benchmarks on the two cards before making a complete decision, but I'd say if the 2600HD is much slower, that's a deal breaker for me.

I don't mind the glossy screen, and am attracted to the 4GB max RAM, but not at the expense of video performance.

I'm not sure what Apple is thinking sometimes. One step up and two back.

6. stuff99 macrumors 6502

is the 2600hd pro a crappy card or something?

7. Askari macrumors newbie

Was Considering a new iMac

I've been a PC user forever and was looking at a Macbook Pro because I'd like to run both Windows and OSX, though more OSX of course, on one system. The price of the Macbook Pro though is prohibitive but the specs are right around what I'd be comfortable with. I'm awfully surprised that considering the fairly good speed on the 8600M GT video that's in the Macbook Pros why they didn't put something similar in the new iMacs. According to reviews of the PC version of the 2600 PRO in a high end spec'd system (see Core 2 Extreme) against Nvidia cards, it rated very poorly, hardly even able to play FEAR, Prey, Quake 4 etc. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was playable but the frame rate wasn't anywhere great. Not even managing above 30fps.
    http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/ATI_Radeon_HD_2600_and_2400_Performance/

I honestly don't know why Apple didn't go with something better. I mean the street price of these 2600 cards is around $100. That's a budget card in a machine that's $1200 and up. :confused:

8. Scannall macrumors member

Off the top of my head, it looks like your 7600 may be faster. But give http://www.barefeats.com/ a few days to get one and bench mark it to be sure. :apple:

9. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Keep your old Mac... Don't upgrade every time something new comes out unless you're a gamer.

GeForce 7600GT

Core clock : 560Mhz
    Memory Clock: 1.4Ghz
    Mem. Interface: 128-bit
    Pixels Per Clock: 12
    Memory Transfer Rate: 22.4GB/s
    DirectX: 9.0c

Radeon 2600HD Pro

Core Clock: 600Mhz
    Memory Clock: 800Mhz
    Memory interface: 128-bit
    Pixel Per Clock: 120
    Memory Transf. Rate: 12.8GB/s
    DirectX: 10

My source is ATI Chart and nVidia charts.

10. hologram macrumors 6502

Buy a new Mac today! Buy two! Don't wait or you'll be left behind!

(I own Apple stock.):D

11. cmvsm thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

These stats are great, but how do they relate to performance? I'm considering an upgrade primarily due to the RAM increase in the new system as well as the processor bump. The 2.8Ghz Extreme would be a nice upgrade over my 2.16 Core Duo. But again, these won't trump the video performance for my needs.

Does anyone know where to find actual benchmarks of these two cards?