Old ACD w/ ADC or new (2004 Alu) display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Jan 28, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

What are the differences between the older ACD (the acrylic one with the ADC connection) and the newer aluminum one? They are both 20", with a 1650x1080 resolution. Are there any differences in the panels? Does one look better than the other? Is the older one still an acceptable model to use today?

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The older ADC ones aren't as bright and the finish always seemed fuzzy to me, you're better off getting thew ALU 20". How big is the price difference? Plus the ADC -> DVI adapter is expensive as well if you don't have an ADC port..clearly

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Hmm, well the new LCDs are at their lowest $300, while the ADCs are $150. I don't exactly have $300 to spend which is why I was looking at the ADCs.

4. thecreativ1 macrumors member

Re:

In terms of quality, I found the opposite to be true. My 20" acrylic has been noting but perfect for over 6 years now. My best friends 20" aluminum display is brighter (at full brightness) but the colors, even after calibration, do not seem as true. Neither of us run them at full brightness anyway. It's just too much!

Your mileage may vary, and every display is different, but I won't be afraid of the acrylic model just because it's older.

With the acrylic, it's true that you'll need a separate ADC to DVI adapter though, which will run you $80 to $90 more.

Lastly, consider the angle of viewing. The acrylic models adjusts by tilting away from you only, and they do not pivot side-to side easily. They have 2 "feet". The alu. models pivot more freely due to the middle-mounting point. They also free up much more desk space since they have a smaller footprint. They kind of float in the air more.

Good luck! Both would be great, I think.

5. thecreativ1 macrumors member

And "one more thing"...

The alu. displays have USB 2 ports and firewire on the back.

The older acrylics only have USB 1 and no firewire. Depending on how many USB 2 or firewire peripherals you use, that could be a determining factor.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You might be better off with one of the new Dell 2209WAs which have an E-IPS panel and are getting some good talk about them so far. People have been able to get them for just over $200 by calling dell and inquiring and being offered them at that price.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'm hoping UPS pulls through, then you could buy a refurb from Apple.

Aside from that, I'd recommend looking into a Dell.

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

9. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Wanted to say that I just ordered that display.

Can't wait for it to come! :D

10. iceman314 macrumors newbie

I own a 20' old acrylics and... it has 2 USB ports!

11. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Asus VH242H

Is that Asus LCD matte or glossy? I think it's matte but I just want to make sure before I possibly order it.

Not that much info found through google, so hoping you'd let us know.

thanks.