Old AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5 - 4.5 lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TallPaulInJax, May 27, 2011.

1. TallPaulInJax macrumors newbie

I have a 20 year old Old AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5 - 4.5 lens (f/3.5-f/4.5, I am assuming). I know next to nothing about photography, but would like to buy a T2i and shoot video, and get better with my skills over time. With the right adaptor, is this lens usable on a T2i? If so, what adaptor to purchase? What are the limitations?

Thanks for any info!

Paul

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If you own an old Nikkor lens, why are you looking to get a Canon camera? What about getting a Nikon body instead, which the lens will definitely work on (except for no autofocus)

Truthfully though, the kit lenses that come with these bodies is probably just as good as the lens you own, so don't bend over backwards too much to accommodate your one old lens. Get a camera/system you want now and if your old lens works on it just think of it as extra gravy.

Ruahrc

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

yea, i dont get it either why you would want to get a canon camera to use a nikon lens. Especially since that lens is not really anything special. I would say the kit lens , at least with nikon cameras, that comes today with the digital cameras is much better than that old lens.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The two posters above are correct. Although as you want to shoot video the Canon choice makes sense as they are widely seen to be better than the Nikon at that right now.

As to the question, yes you can get Nikon->EF adaptors. Obviously you don't get any autofocus or electronic aperture control. It will work as a full manual lens but the quality is not likely to exceed the current Canon EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens.

5. TallPaulInJax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

I have been writing and shooting short films for the last year, and the DP's have been using T2i's. I am impressed with their capabilities... that's why I am going with the T2i.

"Get a camera/system you want now and if your old lens works on it just think of it as extra gravy." That is my philosophy as well. I plan on having the 50mm prime f/1.4 as well as a few other lenses.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If your goal is to shoot video, surely you'd be better off with a dedicated video camera?

Paul

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Actually video on the D3100 and D5100 is up to par with the Canons, and they still have AF during video shooting, which the Canon's don't (from what I understand.)

8. TallPaulInJax thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not read on the D3100 and the D5100 so I will do so.

I did look at the spec comparisons here:
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i-vs-Nikon_D3100

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i-vs-Nikon-D5100

The D5100 looks interesting. I did read this:
    "Video is sharp and decently exposed, though it lacks the subtle tonal gradation Canon manages to produce (in part due to the lower, 18Mbps bit rate) and there's quite a bit of aliasing and what looks like rolling shutter that it's attempting to aggressively suppress (resulting in a stutter).

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-d5100-with-18/4505-6501_7-34629357.html#ixzz1NhQqnhWB
    "

There's stutter on the T2i and the 5D Mark II as well, though...

One other reason to buy the T21, however, is the number of people I know who HAVE the camera and KNOW it! :)

Paul

9. mackmgg, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Well, it's not that the Canon's don't, they just don't have full time autofocus. If you hit the autofocus button, it will still refocus even during a video. That being said, the kit lenses have incredibly loud autofocus. I would never leave that on during a video recording.

If you want to shoot video, older lenses are probably better than the kit lens. All the old lenses I've used are metal, and have incredibly smooth and silent focusing compared to modern ones I've used. The more expensive USM lenses from Canon would probably solve that problem though

From my experience, the Canon's are better than the Nikons for that. Also, I think Magic Lantern has a way to use a global shutter instead. I'm not sure if they ever implemented it, but I know they were considering that