Old and New Hard Drives not recognized

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanvee, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ryanvee macrumors newbie

Last week, my Macbook Pro (13", Mid-2009 model) froze. I held the power button to shut it down, and when I tried to start it back up, it gave me the blinking folder of death. I tried to boot using my Snow Leopard disk to try and repair the disk, but there was no drive except my DVD drive found.

So, I brought it into a local Apple store, and the "geniuses" told me my hard drive had failed and that they could replace it for $300 (I'm 1 month out of warranty, no AppleCare). I declined the offer and bought myself a hard drive off NewEgg for $50 (Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB).

I opened the computer up, took out the old hd and put in the new one. I booted to my Snow Leopard disk to install it, and again there was no hard drive found. I tried to go through Disk Utility as well and there was no listed hd.

Is it the logic board? The hd cable seemed completely fine. Anybody got an idea?

Thanks.

2. ryanvee thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind. Went to the Apple Store and they replaced the SATA ribbon cable and everything's good to go. Old hard drive works just fine.