Old and New = Headache

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobbyK, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RobbyK macrumors newbie

Running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a 17" MacBook Pro. One of the last ones made. Looked in my cabinet and found one of my Airport Express Base Stations (1st Gen). Plugged it in and tried to access. Network name showed but did not know the password. (What do you expect when you are my age!) So I looked up the reset procedures. Followed them but hit a snag. The current Airport Utility does not work with the Base Station. Went to find an earlier version. Downloaded and went to install. Will not install due to existing version being there. No problem just delete the newer one and install the earlier version. NOT! Always risky to delete any MacOS utilities. Looking for a solution. (And dumping my existing MacBook Pro and getting a new one does not fly due to finances) I used to use this Base Station to stream music from my iTunes to my stereo system, just so you know. Any solutions out there? Thanks.

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Why not take it to an Apple store and see if they can get it to talk to El Capitan 10.11.6

No harm trying :)

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Probably updated firmware that would need to be changed back too. Maybe they can reflash it or otherwise help at the Apple Store, as Steve suggests.

You could also update your OS to Sierra. If you have an SSD in your machine, it should run smoothly. Though I'm not sure how well either OS works with the old Airport.