Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Was digging in my computer parts box and found my old Apple cam. The round tube kind. Will this work on the M1 mini? Still in its box in brand new shape. Mini is using a dell 24 inch monitor without any cams. Thanks.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
It sounds like an iSight camera. If so, I believed it required a FireWire interface. Finding an appropriate adapter would be challenging and probably not worth it for a 640x480 video camera

Although, if it is new, in the box, it might be valuable as a collectable

Last edited:
Reactions: skeptech

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Will have to look at it to see how it hooks up. Bought it on a whim when I had my 2008 Mac Pro doing video editing. Used ones on eBay are less than 50 bucks. Used it maybe 5 times then put it back in the box. Thanks for the reply.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It might still work, or it might not.
In any case, it's nearly obsolete (except for having "collector value", as mentioned above).

If I was going to buy a "desktop" camera (I really don't have a need for one), I'd get something new and 4k ...

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Was digging in my computer parts box and found my old Apple cam. The round tube kind. Will this work on the M1 mini? Still in its box in brand new shape. Mini is using a dell 24 inch monitor without any cams. Thanks.
You'll need a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter and the now-discontinued Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, and then a Firewire 400 to 800 adapter to even find out if that works on the new computer. The price of all these will cost about as much as a much more capable USB camera.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.