Old Apple Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eyebeaz, May 7, 2007.

1. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

So I have been look at an old 20" apple cinema display and I was just curious on what you guys thought about purchasing one now. Is it worth it for under $200? How would it compare to a samsung monitor plugged in through a DVI connector? Also would it work on my Macbook, with an adapter through the DVI port, cause I noticed there is only one cable which also provides the power. Would this be a problem running it on a macbook? The one I am looking at is pictured here:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9c/6f/31d1_1.JPG

Any advice appreciated thanks!

2. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Go with a newer Samsung or a Dell. They will have much much better specs than this very old monitor.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The screen is probably quite decent. However, the special cable requires an adapter that costs near $100. Only the G4 and G5 PowerMacs had graphics cards that allowed for the old style monitors to be attached without the adapter.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yeah, go for the newer displays from whoever, including Dell + samsung. Much better bang for your buck.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for an old studio display and only if I had an old G4 to go with it ;)

I remember we bought several 19" studio displays about 5 years ago and we paid $300 for them (after rebate). So I figure $100 is about right.

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

Dell 24" is $570 before shipping & tax. 3x more than you'd otherwise pay, but new, large, beautiful. A monitor is something that will last more than 1 computer. Will you really want to be using a 20" monitor that was old when you bought it 3 years from now? Will it last 3 years? Old monitors tend to fade in brightness and color. I end up changing the color calibration setting to make up for it on my old 20" dell from like 4 years ago. No problems with my Dell monitor.

That said, I'm using a cinema with the brightness turned down right now.

if you have the space, spend more and enjoy it for years to come. $400 is not that much for something you'll use almost everyday.