old apple display worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Iglio, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Iglio macrumors regular

should I buy a 22 inch old apple display for about 150$

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well if you have a G4 to match it with I would go with it for appearance sake. However it uses an ADC connector so you would need a DVI to ADC adapter that will supply power for the Cinema display. Since those old displays get power and video through the one cable.

For anything other than a Powermac G4 I would just buy a new display. Low end ones are really cheap off of newegg. They will have much better response times and I would imagine color quality would be better just because of how much newer the panels are. Though I can not personally attest to this second supposition.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Don't the G4 video cards have ADC? Both my 867MHz G4 QS and 2x1GHz G4 MDD have ADC connectors on their video cards.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes they do. I just was not clear on my meaning in my first sentence. If you have a G4 go for it since the display complements it and it should have an ADC connector.

Unless of course it has a third party non-ADC video card or predates the Gigabit Ethernet G4 as it was the first to add the 28volt rail to its powersupply. I think the G4 Cube has ADC as well.

The only other Mac that may have had ADC would possibly be one of the early G4 Powerbooks. But I am feeling too lazy to look it up at the moment:D.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Correct.

6. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The older Apple Displays are tanks. Assuming you have the proper hardware I'd say $150 would be well spent.

... although talking him down to $100 wouldn't hurt. :)