Old Apple Mac running A/UX?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Cromulent, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Does anyone have an old mac running A/UX in their collections at all? If so whats it like to use (assuming you use it at all)?

I'd love to get one of these just to see what the first version of Unix by Apple was like. Anyone else been looking for one of these?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I remember they dropped a IIfx, with AU/X in the office to test.

It sat after people played with it awhile, they were having more fun with the NeXT box. ;)

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'd quite like a NeXT box as well but one thing at a time :).

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Tell me how badly you want a NeXT box and I might consider selling one of my two. ;)

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Wiki iz ur frend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX

http://applefritter.com/ui/aux/index.html

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Already read that thanks.

So does anyone have any experience with it at all? Does anyone know of any place that has some sitting in the loft or is it just a case of trawling eBay until it pops up?

I swear someone should start an Apple collectors site where people can sell this sort of thing.

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

The best place on the net for A/UX info is www.aux-penelope.com (which is down at the moment, but you can read a lot from Google's cached pages if you need the info now).

I have A/UX 2.0 and 3.x.x, but so far have only ever run version 3. My main A/UX system is a Quadra 700. At some point I'll most likely set up my Mac IIcx or IIci so that I can run version 2.0.

Most of my documentation in the past has been Apple supplied manuals on version 3, but a friend just gave me a couple old book (one covering A/UX 1.1 and the other covering 2.0), so I've had a little more interest in exploring the older versions in the last few weeks. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever seen 1.x as Apple's main way of distributing A/UX back then was to sent people a hard drive with it pre-installed.

As for user experience, it is generally the same as running System 7.0.1 and the X apps are the same as if you ran them over a network on a Mac with MacX installed (because MacX is generally how you run X apps in A/UX).

I'd have to check, but as I recall A/UX 3.x.x came with MacX 1.1 and could be upgraded to 1.5. I know that you can't use MacX 2.0 on an A/UX system as it is PowerPC only.

One of the options lets you switch memory modes, letting you run System 6 apps. Though I haven't tried this yet, I've been considering it for playing with Macromind Director 2.0. Otherwise, I haven't used my Quadra 700 for much in the last few years as I have better systems for running most of my old apps.