Old Apple Products looking for an appraisal

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by patriots734, May 18, 2013.

1. patriots734 macrumors newbie

hey guys completely new to this forum and apple products in general.

So this is the story: I recently purchased a storage locked and it was filled with apple products i have the Apple lisa, Apple 2 and apple 3 computer also have the think different posters 2 sets of the 2nd set of posters in the original packaging from apple

Didnt know if any of this stuff is worth anything or not if so how much?

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Well if this is for real

Well if you haven't already checked eBay, Lisa's list on eBay but don't usually sell for what's posted. I have seen them go for 2 to 5k depending on what model.

Apple II's usually can go for a couple of hundred depending.

Apple III's were business and short lived, I got mine free but can go for a couple hundred.

I see the think different posters on eBay listed for 500 or so but again they just seem to get relished. I would say a that's a crap shoot.

Personally I would cry my eyes out for a Lisa and a set of posters but no way I could ever afford what the are worth. I am in it r fun and the history of it. I would love to see some pictures of what you found so I could be jealous for it. Congrats on your find, you make us small people super jealous for sure.

3. patriots734 thread starter macrumors newbie

poster values

Do you think id be able to get around $2500 for all 8 posters? also in process of taking pictures of everything and will be uploading them all

4. tdiaz macrumors 6502

You can't sell on MacRumors until you've been a member for six months, and posted 250? (some amount) messages, and then that's only in the proper forum, once you have access to it.

A little searching even the recent threads would answer some of these "how much is it worth" stuff..

Mostly, a crap shoot.

5. robivy64 macrumors member

Hah, I was wondering where the market forums went.

I've been here almost 10 years and no longer have access to it (probably low post count).

Looks like my old PB G3 Wallstreet selling thread from 2004 is now in the archives.

6. patriots734 thread starter macrumors newbie

no market place

Yeah I thought that was weird. I was looking for a market/classified thread on this forum site and couldn't find it thought it was odd not to have one. That is weird how they have it set up you would think it would be unlocked for everyone to gain more people on the site. Someone like me (new to apple and just trying to sell a few things quick) would have used this site to get the stuff into the right hands new people are not going to wait 6 months and post lots of posts in hopes to sell something....
    well off to ebay i go

7. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

If you think a little about it, there is some logic behind this decision ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    As the other members stated there's a dedicated sub forum in MacRumors for buying/selling. Access to that forum is allowed after being a member 6 months and 250 posts.

As stated in the rules:

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You answered your own question. You only joined this website to make a quick buck without having to deal with fees and the many regulations that places like eBay have. You have to understand that this is a community, and the people here like to spend pretty pennies on their tech. With our pretty pennies - especially since we are people that are willing to spend $2,000 on something good, it brings a lot of scammers who'd like to exploit people like us for their gain.

You have to understand that eBay is not doing anything wrong by charging you fees and a percentage for you doing business with them. They are a service, they are professional, they connect you to potential buyers, and they do A LOT to prevent fraud (and even if it doesn't look like it, they definitely are).

As for the worth of your items. They aren't worth anything unless they're in working order. No one wants a paperweight. So you better try powering them on and trying any disks that might have also been set aside with them.

10. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

11. patriots734 thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided to post on this site to get it in the right hands.... not to avoid ebay fees(especially me being a power seller only 5%).

If you ask me this is a bad site and will lose tons of good products from getting into the right hands because it is being poorly run

Sorry guys if anyone was interested everything is sold all the posters and computers had a local guy on craigslist take it all off my hands for $3,000

12. Fralle, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013

Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

So if you sell on ebay,it will get into the wrong hands? What about craigslist then?

You didn't even read Jessicas post properly did you? It's mostly about judicial matters not fees. This is not a buy and sell site. What's your problem? :confused:

You didn't have any problem selling the items I suppose?

13. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

I'm sorry but I agree

The amount of posts needed to even access the marketplace make it useless as no one but huge veterans can even see it. Just one of those things. I am more of a long time lurking, but with a post limit I can't even do that here. I'm sure they had their reasons just could have made it like 100. That would have got most the trollers.

14. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

I agree with you! Even 50 posts would do the trick! ;)

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please direct any discussion on Marketplace access to either the Feedback Forum or use the contact us form

For the record, posting 8 posts a day means you can achieve the 250 post count level in a month, so its not a huge threshold. One reason as I mentioned at having it 250, is that it allows the membership to get to know you and that you have a vested interest in MacRumors, not just coming here to buy/sell stuff. Buying/Selling is not the main purpose for MacRumors, but rather discussing apple products, and what not.

Annk, one of our administrators addressed this point quite well

16. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

As an eBay power seller surely you must understand the value of trust in buyer/ seller transactions? The posting requirement is the ONLY means of protection offered here at MacRumors & it is quite sensible. Scammers & flimflamers generally will move onto easier victims or they will out themselves via inconsistencies in their stories or with poor attitudes.

I for one am grateful for the market place & the protections in place to try to shield the membership from harm.

17. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Why do you think its inaproppriate to mention our thoughts regarding this in this thread? And for the record, member Jessica and myself also addressed this point quite well ;)

18. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

So we can't talk amongst ourselves?

Our conversation was our opinion. I guess my long time lurking will just move on as all these rules are not for an "apple collector" just trying to spread ease of use and opportunity. Your admins have a lot to learn. But that's ok to each his own. Goodbye, thanks for nothing.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not inappropriate as much as the feedback forum is the place for such discussions.

20. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

It was not a discussion. It was an opinion! Which I feel perfectly legit to address in this thread without any mod pointing towards a "contact us form" or feedback forum. :confused: Over and out!

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Don't take it the wrong way. Maflynn just doesn't want this to become another thread where people vent that they can't use the marketplace board.

If people want to do that, then they should go here:
    Site and Forum Feedback

But I personally think it would be a waste to have yet another thread about it. There's a handful of them, and the only thing that comes out of it is that the person makes the whiny post, doesn't hear what they want to hear from the people who actually do have the access, and then never bothers to come back. :rolleyes:

Havokalien, you've been here long enough, and probably just wander a lot. I don't think we want people here just doing sale after sale in the marketplace and not contributing. The good news is that you only have just less than 100 posts to go to get access. :)

Patriots734 is most likely not going to show up here again, so we should probably wasteland this.

22. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

I take it just as it is. I was defending the rules and the forum, but in one small sentence mentioned my opinion, and BAM! A mod tells me to take it in a feedback forum or contact form? It wasn't feedback and it wasn't directed towards any moderator or admin of this forum. I found maflynns post totally unnecessary at that point!

And for the record, most of us probably understand patriots734 agenda very well :rolleyes:

23. David Schmidt, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

I didn't see the mod's suggestion as directed at you, really. It wasn't even a reply to your post. The turn the discussion thread was taking was helpfully diverted is all.

I am no fan of the "how much is my l00t worth? Wanna buy it from me?" meme, and would like to see them all banished... but this part of the discussion is probably best saved for feedback too. ;-)

24. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Possibly I was over reacting, but I was definately one of those getting my fingers slapped by maflynn for, in my opinion, no reason. A little too trigger happy there ;) Never mind that now, I will drop the subject :D

I'm perfectly aware of the forum rules, and I think the moderators of this forum are doing a superb job! Really!!

And I also dislike "how much is this worth..." questions and "contact me if interrested" posts. :rolleyes: