Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
I know I'll get yelled at for asking a stupid question, but..

Does the old Apple TV require a powered on computer with iTunes and bonjour running to function after you sync your content over to its hard drive?

What I'm basicly looking to use it for is a music player, I have 80gb of MP3's and Fairplay AAC's and am hoping to plug the Apple TV in over optical into my AV Receiver.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007

Does the old Apple TV require a powered on computer with iTunes and bonjour running to function after you sync your content over to its hard drive?

What I'm basicly looking to use it for is a music player, I have 80gb of MP3's and Fairplay AAC's and am hoping to plug the Apple TV in over optical into my AV Receiver.

I don't think so. Once it's synced then you should be fine using it without a computer on.

I didn't usually use mine that way, but when my network was down then it still showed up synced TV shows…

Amorya

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

If you sync your music to the Apple TV you won't need the computer turned on. If you use the remote app on the iPhone / iPad / Pod touch you won't even need to switch your TV on. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.