Old Applecare - can I use it on new MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmg2203, Mar 12, 2013.

1. cmg2203 macrumors newbie

So I bought a MacBook Pro, 3 years ago... With it I purchased AppleCare. I never got around to registering it and the MBP died recently due to water damage (which wouldn't have been covered anyway).

I still have the Applecare package and the receipt from when I purchased it so when I buy a new MBP, can I register that Applecare plan for the new MBP? Or do I need to buy a new Applecare plan?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If it hasn't been activated, and the size is the same, yes (although if you bought it with the laptop, there's every chance it was automatically registered for you).

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Historically, I've seen them use anything labeled as macbook applecare for any macbooks. The key to applecare is that you register the computer with the AC within one year of the purchase of the *computer*. Apple seems to not care when you bought the AC.

In the end, why not try to register it? It's not likely the original store where you purchased the AC will give you the money back on a return after 3 years anyway.

4. cmg2203 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't buy the original MBP at the Apple store so as far as I am aware it was not registered at the same time.
    I have seen Applecare plans for sale on Ebay before so I figured it didn't matter when I purchase Applecare but then I keep reading that it needs to be purchased within 1 year of buying the MBP, but I assume it's actually that it needs to be registered before a year?
    Is it worth ringing apple to find out or is it better to just try and see if it succeeds?

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yes, you need to register the machine with apple care using the code you got when you bought the AC.

If it makes you feel better, give them a call. If you purchased just the code and not any paperwork (from ebay or some other independent seller), you are best off calling to verify now (so you have time to get it registered within the one year). In the past, scammers have sold just codes on ebay and unsuspecting mac users have successfully registered the code only to have it rejected by apple when they try to receive repairs or other benefits (note that the red flag goes up *not* at registration, but at the time of use of the service).