Old Applecare for New Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZombieGenocide, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ZombieGenocide macrumors newbie

I have an old AppleCare Protection Plan for a Macbook Pro/Powerbook (MA515LL/A) that I did not use within one year of purchasing my old computer. Because of this (and my inability to find my proof of purchase), it was never registered. If I got a new Macbook Pro, would I be able to use this old AppleCare Protection Plan on it?

Thanks,
    Zombie

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. You can't transfer AppleCare purchased for one device to another device. Also, if you purchased AppleCare at the same time you bought your Mac from Apple, it was most likely registered for you automatically.

3. ZombieGenocide thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not looking to transfer AppleCare as it has never been registered to any computer. I am looking to use an older AppleCare that has never been registered (because I forgot to register it within one year of my purchase) on a new MBP.

The FAQs (http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html) says:

"Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?

Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details."

I just want to know if it will work for new model MBPs.

Also, I am absolutely sure it was not registered automatically.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare being transferable means that if you buy a Mac and have AppleCare on it, when you sell or give your Mac to another person, you can also transfer the AppleCare coverage to that person. AppleCare follows the computer, not the person. You cannot take the AppleCare that was purchased for your old Mac and use it for your new Mac, whether you registered it or not. If you want AppleCare on your new Mac, you must buy it.

5. hzxu macrumors regular

If the he/she bought the AppleCare separately, I believe it will not be an issue. Say I have one MBP, and bought an AppleCare which was supposed to use for the MBP, but I never opened it nor registered it, now I got another MBP, of course I can use the AppleCare which was bought for my previous MBP on the new MBP.

6. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I second that. If he bought Applecare separately and never registered it, and it was for the same category of mbp, he can easily register it.

GGStudios: May be you should tone down your rhetoric, if you're not fully aware of the Apple policies.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Sorry, that's not correct. If the OP has an unactivated Applecare, it will work just fine.
    If your scenario was true, how would it be possible to walk into an Apple Store and buy an Applecare package? It's not as if they activate it for you right there in the store if it's bought separately.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if it's for a different model. The pricing is different between models, so you can't buy AppleCare for a Mini and use it on an iMac, for example.
    It's not rhetoric. It's fact.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

But that's not what the OP was asking.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They bought AppleCare for a Powerbook and they want to use it on a new MacBook Pro.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... if it was for the same machine for instance 2009 MBP and now being used on a 2010 MBP.

Apple may make an exception if you ask nice ... but I would not count on it.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

+1. You would have to verify with Apple. If it was a MacBook Pro in question, not a PowerBook, then there should be no problem but because the computer might be during the time of transition from PowerBook to MacBook Pro, there might be a problems. I would call AppleCare to confirm.

13. ZombieGenocide thread starter macrumors newbie

My old AppleCare says it is for Macbook Pro/Powerbook. It was purchased in 2008, and it is the version number I listed in my original post. So although it says powerbook, it also says mbp, so I thought I might be able to use it on a new mbp.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call AppleCare and ask. They may make an exception for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

15. chrfr macrumors 603

It will almost certainly work, my friend did exactly this and his new computer is covered.

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul