iPad Old Applecare (not plus) with iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anonymouse99, Jan 16, 2014.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I have an old unused Applecare pack which I'd like to use with my new iPad Air.

Before I crack open this pack, I wanted to check if I can use it?

Has anyone tried to register old Applecare with their iPad Air.

Help gratefully appreciated!

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i believe the applecare is only one year of additional coverage and the applecare plus is further coverage. So to answer your question, yes. You should be able to use it.

3. gatearray macrumors 65816

Why not call 1-800-MYAPPLE and find out for real instead of pleading with the internet? If it's a go, they'll probably even help you register it while on the phone with them.

:)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It should be fine, because you by AC by the type of equipment, iPad, iPhone, MBP and not by the model. iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5c etc. With that said, the advice to call apple just in case is good advice.

5. rcw2012 macrumors member

Yep I actually purchased the old Applecare (not plus) from Amazon recently for my iPad Air as I didn't need the insurance cover and the price was much cheaper. It registered no problem at all so I now have cover through until end of 2015.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Further only in the sense of the damage discount, which won't be in this pack.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It will work. Many countries in the world do not have AppleCare+ yet, so they do still offer this.

You won't get the damage protection element with your legacy coverage of course.

8. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to "upgrade" Applecare to Applecare+ ? I am still in the 30 day iPad purchase window.

I am wondering if I should just get Applecare+ and sell the (legacy) Applecare pack or call Apple to upgrade from Applecare -> Applecare+?

I did call Apple (Applecare) folks but the guy on the phone was more interested in selling me an Applecare+ package instead of giving me a clear answer for what I just described.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

won't work. Once any apple care is on it, you can't change it. If you want apple care plus, get that. Either sell the other one or see if they can verify the purchase and lack of use and give you a refund. I learned that from back in the days before Plus when I had gotten apple care for the iPhones and iPads we use for work.

I've heard of cases of folks buying iPhones etc from the carriers, who don't sell Apple Care Plus, popping into a store to add it and then returning the phone after all. They had no issues with getting a refund from Apple (albeit I believe by check) of the Apple Care by calling the phone support folks

----------

its highly possible that the guy is new, only came on after Apple Care Plus and to his knowledge 'plain' Apple Care never existed for the devices. It's unlikely they train folks on old systems that they can't use anyway as it would just complicate things.

Guy likely looked up the options for the iPad, saw Apple Care Plus as the only listing (according to the BF not even phone support can sell plain apple care after the 30 days although they used to do it before the 5c/5s came out if not earlier). Having no history of the fact that Apple Care was an option, not seeing it listed, he assumed you were confused. Lame but phone folks do that kind of stuff all the time.