Old Applications/ folder (and current one) being used by Mountain Lion OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xandrani, Mar 10, 2013.

1. xandrani macrumors newbie

I used to backup my old Mac Mini (OSX Tiger) on a partition of an external harddrive a few years ago. The backup was a bootable backup, in short a near perfect copy of my working system (Tiger).

I recently got a new Mac Mini (OSX Mountain Lion) and plugged in the old external harddrive. Which was fine.

However I've noticed that if I right-click on a file then applications from both Application/ folders are being picked up. i.e. I had Smultron and Komodo Edit on my old Mac Mini (now on the external HDD partition), and my current Mac is picking this up as well as my current /Applications on my internal HDD.

How do I stop it from picking up these old applications? It is neat that OSX does this in some ways, however I don't want multiple choices of certain apps, or old apps I no longer use being picked up.

Note that I still want to keep that bootable backup so deleting the old Application/ folder is not an acceptable workaround for me.

Thanks for any input!

2. xandrani thread starter macrumors newbie

How to Fix

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user && killall Finder

(From http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...te-open-with-context-menu-items-in-finder-app)

It's odd how OSX picked up that old Applications/ folder, but anyway a positive that I found a fix to reset the 'Open With' context menu list.