Old base 27inch vs New base 21,5inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SLO-Jure, Nov 17, 2012.

1. SLO-Jure macrumors newbie

Waiting for the new Imac got me thinking.

For the money of new base 21inch I can get refurbished old base 27inch model.

Grafic card(1gb) should be better, ram I can upgrade.

Please advice me on 2 things:

1. Is the new screen any better?
    2. Difference between 2.7 i5 vs new 2.7 i5 with turbo boost?

Thank you a lot!
    Jure

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Ok,
    GPU: 640M vs 6770m. The 640M is better, VRAM shortage or no, but neither card is suitable for stressful tasks. Note that the VRAM difference in these cards is washed out by the difference in resolution, comparing 21" to 27".
    CPU: New one is about 10-15% faster.
    Screen: The major improvement is the 75% glare reduction. I find this to be very important.

3. MacMiguel macrumors regular

With this new generation os iMacs I think we're talking about a big step with the old generation. We're not just talking about a refresh, even the screen with no refraction properties worth .....

My sugestion: forget the old models.

4. mcpix macrumors regular

I think that the new screen may represent a significant upgrade. However, given the delays and problems in getting the new iMac out the door, I'm a little hesitant to be a beta tester for these machines. Plus, with the increase in price, the difference between the old and new is much greater.

For me, the 2011 machines have everything I need (including an ODD) and I've found a solution to the glare problem. I like the 21.5" machines, but the 27" is very nice to work on.

5. SLO-Jure thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replay.

I was actualy looking for old model with Radeon 6970M, according to charts this card is much better then 640M.

Do the old 21,5 and 27 models have the same screen?

Thanks,
    Jure

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a maxed out 2011 27" 3.4GHZ i7, 2GB GPU, 16GB RAM...If I could take the hit in real-estate, I'd go with a top end 21.5...But I need the screen so will be waiting until next year before upgrading to (probably) another maxed out 27" with a Fusion drive setup.

The old models are just that..Old. If you could grab a good refurb or secondhand bargain then maybe it's worth considering, but if it were me? I'd buy new.