Old charger for 2012 cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johannnn, Nov 12, 2012.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I want to buy an extra charger for my 2012 cMBP so that I always have one at school.

I don't care about charging as fast as possible, but I don't want to use anything that is "not recommended" by Apple.

Do I have to go with a 2012 charger? I don't mind buying an old used one, how far back in time can I go? And do I have to stay with MBP charger, or can I go for the MBA charger (should be cheaper since less watt)?

Thanks!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

There's no such thing as a 2012 charger. The macbook and 13" macbook pro all use a 60W magsafe power adaptor. So just buy any 60W magsafe power adaptor and you're good.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Wrong. Magsafe 2. There are two different chargers. that said, the cMBP still use the original.

"Still, the original MagSafe is finding its way onto the refreshed MacBook Pro (both 13- and 15-inch), but we're guessing the original isn't long for this world"

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-magsafe-vs-magsafe-2-photos-incompatible-power-connectors/

4. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ok, but how about the 45W chargers that belong to the MBA?
    Are they fine to use?

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I was talking about 13" MBP and macbook (discontinued). Not the retina or air which use magsafe 2 now.

----------

Yes, they would work (magsafe 1 only) but I dont suggest buying a lower wattage charger. It will take longer to charge.

6. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ok perfect! As I have already said, I don't care about charging as fast as possible :)

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you use a lower sized charger for your Mac, you will drain battery faster than being charged when you are in use.